PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] need opinions/suggs for new budget desktop specs listed

thaitang
August 17th, 2011, 03:34 AM
Hey gang, not sure if this or the hardware forum was the better of the two to post in. 50/50/90 I am sure.

Anyways I gotta put together a PC this weekend, actually go shopping and put together. I am on a very tight budget as this one caught me by total surprise. I have been looking around for some info and I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on this setup that will be used as a general purpose desktop, very limited gaming if any at all and no mmporgs (abbr?) for sure. Like some GIMP/Photoshop (via wine) will be the heaviest load the computer is likely to deal with. Performance of course is important, but I have been working on 3-5-8 year old laptops for the past 3 years and so I am sure anything made in the past year or two is gonna smoke (good smoke I hope) for me.

I had a tough time finding any compatibility threads regarding the cpu/mboard/ram and linux. I know the MBoard listed has the 880G chipset which is less than ideal nVid solution, but being on a tight budget I find I am a lot more flexible than I might otherwise like since I have always gone with nVid b/c of its driver support with Linux. Does anyone think there should be any problems running on-board vid from the 880G installing latest LTS?

Thanx for any opinions and suggestions ahead of time.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4164/budget-system-builders-guide-february-2011/2
AMD Budget System
Component Type: Make & Model: Price: Rebate
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250: $61:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-880GM-D2H: $80: ($10)
RAM: Patriot 4GB 2x2GB PSD34G1333K: $40: ($5)
Hard Drive: Seagate 500GB ST3500418AS: $40:
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS50: $17:
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts EA-380D: $40:
Case: Antec Three Hundred: $43:
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit: $100:
Total Base System Cost: $421: ($15)
Input: Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse: $15:
Display: ASUS VW193DR Black 19" (1440x900): $110:
Complete System Cost: $546: ($15)

hansdown
August 17th, 2011, 03:52 AM
Hi, thaitang.

I always used Nvidia, while they had good support for ubuntu.

My last few purchases, have gone with Intel, for graghics, WIFI,ETC.

hansdown
August 17th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Hi, thaitang.

AMD may, produce unexpected results, also.

I notice, that the double posting problem, hasn't been addressed.

thaitang
August 17th, 2011, 04:14 AM

Yeah I can't remember having to config anything but nVidia, and to be honest this is probably my biggest concern. Being so budget-conscious I just thought AMD automatically, but perhaps Intel might be a way to go, paying a little premium to eleviate my video concerns.

That website had an Intel budget platform as well with basically the same setup other than:
Intel Budget System
CPU: Intel Pentium G6950: $95:
Motherboard: MSI H55M-E21: $70: ($10)

AMD may, produce unexpected results, also.
I can't imagine having any issues with an AMD processor running under the hood. In fact I would prefer an AMD/nVid solution as my first choice. But I already know some sacrifices need to be made.

BTW, I know the AMD processor listed fits the AM3 socket, but is backward compatible to AM2+ and AM2 sockets; I assume there is no issue with using the DDR2 RAM if I go backwards? I am thinking if I go back a step or two perhaps I will have more luck finding an AM2(+) with nVid easier than AM3.

cheers,
tt

hansdown
August 17th, 2011, 04:46 AM
I would love to give you good news, but I can't.

Maybe someone can give better guidance....