PDA

View Full Version : my script isn't running as a cronjob

GrandVizier
August 17th, 2011, 01:25 AM
I wrote myself a little script to give myself an alert when my system is running low on memory. Here is the script:

<?php
$mem_string = exec('cat /proc/meminfo | grep MemFree');
$mem_string = str_ireplace('MemFree:', '', $mem_string);
$mem_string = trim(str_ireplace('kb', '', $mem_string));

$mem_total = exec('cat /proc/meminfo | grep MemTotal');
$mem_total = str_ireplace('MemTotal:', '', $mem_total);
$mem_total = trim(str_ireplace('kb', '', $mem_total));

if($mem_total > 0){
$percentage = ($mem_string / $mem_total) * 100;
if($percentage < 10){
exec('notify-send " Memory is LOW"');
}
}else{
return;
}
?>

it works just fine when I run:

/usr/bin/php /home/jeff/memory_script.php

but when I add
22 * * * * root /usr/bin/php /home/jeff/memory_script.php
to /etc/crontab it does nothing - having a look in /var/log/syslog shows:

Aug 17 01:22:01 hardcore cron[986]: (*system*) RELOAD (/etc/crontab)
Aug 17 01:22:01 hardcore CRON[29564]: (root) CMD (/usr/bin/php /home/jeff/memory_script.php)
Aug 17 01:22:02 hardcore CRON[29563]: (CRON) info (No MTA installed, discarding output)

jmartrican
August 17th, 2011, 06:09 AM
have you tried redirecting the output to a file?

e.g. /usr/bin/php /home/jeff/memory_script.php &> /tmp/file.log

GrandVizier
August 17th, 2011, 12:37 PM
That was a great suggestion - it got rid of the "No MTA installed, discarding output" message in the log - but it didn't work - so I went into my memory_script.php and changed it so that all it did was
echo 'STARTING ' . "\n";

when I run the file through the CL, /tmp/file.log fills up with STARTING - but when the cron is set to run, it doesn't output anything to the tmp file (as in if I leave anything in the tmp file, the cron deletes it)

gmargo
August 17th, 2011, 05:09 PM
First of all, if you are going to be messing with cron, you should install an MTA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message_transfer_agent) (aka Message Transfer Agent aka Mail Server) immediately, such as postfix or exim4. The cron daemon is trying to send email to you, but can't since there's no mail server.

Second of all, cron runs programs in a sanitized environment, which does not include the $DISPLAY environment variable that notify-send needs. That's why your script works from the command line but not from cron. (BTW, it is a useful exercise to run the env command from cron, just to see how different the environment is.)

Here's a cron'able mini hello-world that will send notifications to the main display:

<?php
exec('env DISPLAY=:0 notify-send "Hello, World!"');
?>