PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] how to unmount Home partition?

sallam
August 16th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Greetings
I need to resize my home partition to make a new partition. I'm using gparted. It seems that I must unmount the home partition before resizing or splitting it. But I failed to unmount it. It says partition busy.
How to tell which operations is using it to stop them?
I do this first time after booting, before opening any programs..

ofnuts
August 16th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Greetings
I need to resize my home partition to make a new partition. I'm using gparted. It seems that I must unmount the home partition before resizing or splitting it. But I failed to unmount it. It says partition busy.
How to tell which operations is using it to stop them?
I do this first time after booting, before opening any programs..You would have to login as root since root's home is not in /home AFAIK. However in Ubuntu using root isn't recommended, but the whole thing should be doable using a live CD. Just make sure you know which filesystem is on which partition before booting on the CD.

Paqman
August 16th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Yep, you'll need to use a LiveCD or USB. You'll also need to unmount your swap partition (the live session will automatically mount it to improve performance). Open Gparted, right click on your swap and "swapoff". You should then be free to make any changes to your partitions you need.

yetiman64
August 16th, 2011, 02:20 PM
You would have to login as root since root's home is not in /home AFAIK. However in Ubuntu using root isn't recommended, but the whole thing should be doable using a live CD. Just make sure you know which filesystem is on which partition before booting on the CD.

On a standard Ubuntu install using the root account is not even possible,

From link no. 4 in my sig,

By default, the Root account password is locked in Ubuntu.Use the live cd option OP. You can't do any gparted operations on a mounted partition and you need /home mounted to use your install.

If you have a swap partition as well and you still can't use gparted on the live cd, right click on swap and select "swapoff". It will depend on your setup if you need to do that, you may not have to.

The command in a live cd terminal, (edit for clarity: for gathering device info only,)

sudo fdisk -l -that is a lower case L in the code, will give you information to help with picking devices etc which then can be used in gparted operations. Also when working with sudo in a live cd terminal just hit the enter button, no password is used on a live cd terminal.

Wim Sturkenboom
August 16th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Boot into recovery mode, drop to a root shell with network support and you can unmount. That is what recovery mode is for. No need for the liveCD ;)

<snip>. If you don't need the networking, I would bring it down (or pull the cable out or so).

And a warning: make a backup of important data as working on filesystems is always dangerous.

sallam
September 2nd, 2011, 10:44 PM
Thanks everyone. The Live CD method worked like a charm.
Here is how I did it, in case any other newbie like me needed detailed steps:

Put an ubuntu installation CD in your cdrom drive
restart your computer, pressing F12 at boot screen to select "cdrom"
in few minutes, you will be given 2 choices. Select 'Try ubuntu'
When you see the desktop, select the following from the menu at top: System > Admin > GParted partition editor
right-click your home partition, and select 'resize'
format the unallocated space to the system of your choice

Many thanks.