PDA

View Full Version : Why should I use a proxy?

M!SF!TS
August 16th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Why could I benefit from a proxy? (just wanting to see everyone's reasons for this)
Also why do YOU use a proxy?

handy
August 16th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I don't.

The main (not the only) reason that most people use a proxy is to hide due to the fact that they are doing illegal things as far as their countries laws are concerned, & are trying to be anonymous.

Anonymous, even with proxies is all but impossible.

Grenage
August 16th, 2011, 09:11 AM
The main reason for using a proxy server is for organisations using a central cache/control point; out in the common internet, they generally provide a slower experience.

While there are some anonymity benefits, that's really down to the proxy you happen to be using. It's generally better practice to say that nothing on the internet is anonymous.

a2j
August 16th, 2011, 04:37 PM
depends what kind of proxy...
local or remote? I use proxy at my house. so, whatever benefits squid has to offer..

bodhi.zazen
August 16th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

I moved your thread to the café as it is not a support questions.

A proxy is a tool and can be used for anything from anonymity (see TOR) to reducing bandwidth to controlling web access to content filtering (see things such as squid or dansguardian).

markp1989
August 16th, 2011, 05:49 PM
my firewall (Astaro) has a http proxy, I use it to block adverts,sites known to have viruses and virus scan files as they are downloaded.

I also have it configured so I can use it as a proxy server when I am out of the house, so i can access network resources (printers etc) and still be protected by the firewall.

Famicube64
August 16th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Because it feeds your paranoia.

KUU
August 16th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Why should I use a proxy?
?

Because the cake was a lie.

Jesus_Valdez
August 16th, 2011, 06:27 PM
How about a VPN?

HermanAB
August 16th, 2011, 08:05 PM
I travel a lot and use my laptop in weird and wonderful places, doing mostly government work, so everything I do goes through a SSH Socks proxy and then I don't have to worry about where I am, or what I'm doing, or what the bearded Linux guru at the next table in Starbucks may be doing for fun or profit...

eriktheblu
August 16th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I use proxies because my network at work requires them (to preserve bandwidth keep us from doing naughty things online).

I've considered setting one up on my home server so that when I travel I wouldn't be bound by the restrictions imposed by whatever hotel I might be staying at.

christoph411
August 16th, 2011, 11:03 PM
because it feeds your paranoia.

lol! :D

NovaAesa
August 17th, 2011, 12:36 AM
I use a proxy while I'm on the wireless network at uni (because I don't have a choice, the proxy provides authentication). I don't both with one while at home.

M!SF!TS
August 17th, 2011, 02:21 AM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.
I moved your thread to the café as it is not a support questions.

Good call bodhi.zazen

I am enjoying hearing everyone's responses and why they may or may not use a proxy.

So far the most useful one I have really seen is the one about travel and not being restricted or being able to access resources from afar. Good useful things.

Is cool to hear everyone's reason or lack of reason lol @ it feeds your paranoia. :P that was funny.

tjwoosta
August 17th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Why should I use a proxy?

Which proxy? Privoxy is an example of a content filtering proxy. Squid and Polipo are examples of caching proxies. Tor is an example of an anonymity proxy.

A proxy is any computer system or application that acts as an intermediary for requests from clients seeking resources from other servers.

It could be a remote server that your using to redirect your data stream around certain obstacles, or it could be a locally installed application that filters or caches data. There are countless uses for proxies.

For an example I use provoxy (a locally installed application) for content filtering i.e. filtering out certain ads, js, flash, and images from the data stream. Its an intermediary between my browser and the internet.

Another example is when im using a public wifi hotspot. I use ssh to connect to my home machine and I tunnel all my browser traffic through that encrypted connection. In that case my home machine is the intermediary between my browser and the internet.