PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Ubuntu 11.04

Montezuma45
August 15th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I'm trying to do a simple install. Wipe out existing system and replace with 11.04 but I can't get past initial screen. Is there a different CD version I need to use?

Last year I used 10.04 LTS and it worked fine, this year I wanted to start with the newest and go from there. I use Remastersys to make my own install version for 600+ laptops and I need to be able to wipe out the existing systems without effort.

infamous-online
August 16th, 2011, 12:34 AM
I'm trying to do a simple install. Wipe out existing system and replace with 11.04 but I can't get past initial screen. Is there a different CD version I need to use?

Last year I used 10.04 LTS and it worked fine, this year I wanted to start with the newest and go from there. I use Remastersys to make my own install version for 600+ laptops and I need to be able to wipe out the existing systems without effort.

Hmm try this out, run it as a live demo if you have it on that custom build that you made, and from there click on the install option and see if that helps.

Montezuma45
August 16th, 2011, 12:46 AM
I got past that but not good for mass production. Apparently it needed so much free disk space to run. Booting from the CD, I just deleted some folders and it allowed me to continue. I now have it installed on one laptop.

I need to know, is this unique to me or SOP? Doesn't the installation program ask if you want to delete the whole disk or have a dual operating system, like 10.04 LTS did? I'm not looking forward to have to initialize disk before installing on 600+ laptops this year.

yuzhongfeixia
August 16th, 2011, 02:50 AM

i installed unbuntu,but i find that it has no make and gcc command

bigcreturns
August 16th, 2011, 07:16 AM
I posted this in another thread in regards to installing VMware tools.

Ensure for 11.04 server edition you have: make, gcc and the linux C header files installed.

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install make

sudo apt-get install gcc

Then enter:
uname -r

My kernel was: 2.6.38-10-generic

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-2.6.38-10-generic

Now run the vmware-install.pl script.

Montezuma45
August 23rd, 2011, 11:03 PM
:confused: I guess the question still stands. Did 11.04 eliminate the ability to remove an old operating system and install the 11.04 without prepping the hard drive?