PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where can I find these packages?

stewartie4
August 15th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Hi I have ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty and I was experimenting with theming. But I need to install 4 packages which I can't seem to find on the net. Does anyone know where to find:
dockbarx
gnomenu
emerald
compiz fusion icons.

I DO NOT want to update as this is the last version in which you can completely customize the login screen.

Thanks everyone

Mark Phelps
August 15th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Try searching using the link below:

http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

Enigmapond
August 15th, 2011, 11:31 PM
You understand though that running Jaunty is not a wise thing. Especially on the internet. There are no more security or software updates. I would re-think your solution. I have Lucid and with Grub-Customizer and Plymouth, my log in and grub are totally theme-able so I don't exactly know what you mean.

Frogs Hair
August 15th, 2011, 11:46 PM
There no source packages for the Gnomenu on 9.04 and the dockbar X PPA that I found requires 9.10 or higher and you could not connect to that repository with an unsupported version .

The search for Emerald at the Linux package search only displays 10.04 packages , but tried Emerald in 9.10 . FYI , the current login screen will be replaced again in 11.10 . I know you don't update , but everything you want to install is easily available in newer versions of Ubuntu .

stewartie4
August 17th, 2011, 02:21 PM
You understand though that running Jaunty is not a wise thing. Especially on the internet. There are no more security or software updates. I would re-think your solution. I have Lucid and with Grub-Customizer and Plymouth, my log in and grub are totally theme-able so I don't exactly know what you mean.
No the lucid login screen is far from totally themeable - yes you can change the background and logo, but you are still left with a very ugly windows 98 style grey box, you can not use themes like that ones here:
http://gnome-look.org/?xcontentmode=150
FYI linux is immune to windows viruses which are 99% of the viruses out there so I think im pretty safe :)

stewartie4
August 17th, 2011, 02:22 PM
There no source packages for the Gnomenu on 9.04 and the dockbar X PPA that I found requires 9.10 or higher and you could not connect to that repository with an unsupported version .

The search for Emerald at the Linux package search only displays 10.04 packages , but tried Emerald in 9.10 . FYI , the current login screen will be replaced again in 11.10 . I know you don't update , but everything you want to install is easily available in newer versions of Ubuntu .
Really? and the new login screen will be themeable?

whatthefunk
August 17th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I suppose it is better to have an outdated, insecure computer with a flashy log-in box than a safe one with an ugly gray box that you see once per session....

stewartie4
August 17th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I suppose it is better to have an outdated, insecure computer with a flashy log-in box than a safe one with an ugly gray box that you see once per session....
Quite honestly I can't believe they've removed the "flashy" login box and replaced it with that. Seriously. But I will go back to what I said before, getting a virus on linux is very remote, so quite honestly I don't care. I'm baffled that the developers thought it was a good idea to remove theming options, and have left the option out for so many releases!

Duncan Williams
August 17th, 2011, 03:17 PM
stated getting a virus on linux is very remote, so quite honestly I don't care.

That is because as malware is discovered security updates occur.

Using older/unsupported software is one way to get a virus in linux.

dino99
August 17th, 2011, 03:17 PM
if its important for you:

http://protuts.net/12-themes-gdm-exceptionnels-ubuntu-9-04/

Enigmapond
August 17th, 2011, 03:24 PM
i suppose it is better to have an outdated, insecure computer with a flashy log-in box than a safe one with an ugly gray box that you see once per session....

+1 :))

Duncan Williams
August 17th, 2011, 04:17 PM
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-11-10-Has-a-New-Login-Manager-216673.shtml

oldos2er
August 17th, 2011, 05:14 PM
getting a virus on linux is very remote, so quite honestly I don't care.

Getting a virus is not the only security issue though.