PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Messed up in Fstab...No options for Mounting drives

computerandu
August 15th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Hi All,

Recently when i was trying to auto-mount my windows drive by editing fstab like this: gksu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_privilege_authorization_features) gedit /etc/fstab

After editing when I saved and closed the fstab file it gave me following error in the terminal:

(gedit:1968): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.BYMA0V': No such file or directory

(gedit:1968): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

(gedit:1968): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-u

And my two NTFS partitions are not visible from then onwards.

I tried solving it by manually making a directory: /root/.local/share but then this error is gone but the partitions are still not visible.

This is the content of my fstab file:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda7 during installation
UUID=b9a176e1-d122-4ea7-815b-555063d4e18f / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /home was on /dev/sda9 during installation
UUID=d7404e23-4d48-4bc1-ac9f-bbbc82806e02 /home ext4 defaults,user_xattr 0 2
# swap was on /dev/sda8 during installation
UUID=8a3e328f-6394-4430-badb-5cd12a53731b none swap sw 0 0
#Auto-mounting of Windows drives: 01CB76F7F289ADE0
UUID=01CB76F7C2628FB0 /mount/WindowsDrive/105GB ntfs defaults,uid=1000 0 0
UUID=01CB76F7F289ADE0 /mount/WindowsDrive/45GB ntfs defaults,uid=1000 0 0

WyleECoyote
August 15th, 2011, 10:12 PM
do the mount points exist? here is what I did for my spare drive:

UUID=f31270bf-efaa-49e2-a8dd-f0ac1802a4cb /home/myuser/Downloads ext3 auto,user,exec,rw 0 0

that gives all users access to it but I am the only user otherwise I would change the path and symlink my Downloads folder to it. instead of ext3 you just need to put in ntfs

btw, those Gtk-WARNINGS look unimportant just temp files not sure just treat them as they are 'warnings' if you don’t like to see them try gksudo instead of gksu

computerandu
August 15th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Yeah...the mount points do exist...i can access them when i go from /root/mount/WindowsDrive/

but the problem is that these two partitions are not visible in the File Manager GUI...like when i open Home Folder there are various drives/partitions in the left pane...they are not there anymore...

any ideas?

Morbius1
August 15th, 2011, 11:08 PM
If you create a mount point in /home/user-name or /media they will show up all over the place - like the desktop. But if you mount them anywhere else like you have done then they won't.

Go to /mount/WindowsDrive/105GB and bookmark it in Nautilus - Bookmarks > Add bookmark.