PDA

View Full Version : Job interview

jakejw93
August 15th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Hey guys completely off topic!

But I got offered a job interview for tomorrow at Subway and since its such short notice I'm accepting any advice given!

So please if anyone has any advice please speak up!

Elfy
August 15th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Don't lie - they'll either find out or notice.

I'd also not worry about washing or anything if the subway's I've ventured into are anything to go by :)

Aquix
August 15th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Just don't seem to want it too much if it's a less desirable job. Just act normal and be friendly.

kostkon
August 15th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Sleep at least 8 hours tonight.

Dragonbite
August 15th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Confidence sells (yourself) more than any amount of "experience".

One thing I found that helps with this is not to think of it as an interview regarding "whether they want you", but rather "do I want to work for them?".

Make them on the spot to convince you want them and not the other way around.

Remember, they may offer or not, but YOU have to make the final decision to say "yes" and if this isn't a place you feel you'll be comfortable with it, then don't.

Of course, this is all mutable depending on how desperate you are ;) Just don't sell yourself too short; a little bit of effort now will pay dividends in the future.

mips
August 15th, 2011, 08:21 PM
This thread might help you http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1698528

ki4jgt
August 15th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Confidence sells (yourself) more than any amount of "experience".

One thing I found that helps with this is not to think of it as an interview regarding "whether they want you", but rather "do I want to work for them?".

Make them on the spot to convince you want them and not the other way around.

Remember, they may offer or not, but YOU have to make the final decision to say "yes" and if this isn't a place you feel you'll be comfortable with it, then don't.

Of course, this is all mutable depending on how desperate you are ;) Just don't sell yourself too short; a little bit of effort now will pay dividends in the future.

Have to agree. Seems all companies want these days is smiles and butterflies :-(. Confidence isn't even a factor in hiring anymore. All most companies know how to look for, is the smile. This is because hiring managers are no longer the older type who know what to look for. They're the younger who have less experience in judging character. I've seen some of the most confident people walk into companies (straight faced) and get turned down for a job. They're serious about life and most younger hiring managers have no way of distinguishing between being straight faced and being an old sourpuss. So, above all (even confidence) make sure you smile.

jakejw93
August 15th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks for all the positive reply's guys. Just finding my notebook so I can jot some stuff down, the nerves are beginning to creep in!

Really need this job :P

Elfy
August 15th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Most of what you've been told is common sense - you shouldn't need a notebook :)

They know there's going to be a queue, assuming that whatever part of the UK you are in is like it is down here.

Don't get nervous - you can only affect one half of this equation :)

Good luck.

Sleep at least 8 hours tonight.This - and if I see you on here later I'll ban you for 24 hours :D

jakejw93
August 15th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Most of what you've been told is common sense - you shouldn't need a notebook :)

They know there's going to be a queue, assuming that whatever part of the UK you are in is like it is down here.

Don't get nervous - you can only affect one half of this equation :)

Good luck.

This - and if I see you on here later I'll ban you for 24 hours :D

Notebook to jot down certain things about me (strengths and weaknesses) since they ask that all the time (apparently)

And to be nervous for a job interview I'm guessing is only normal?

And that's nice of you :P But yeah I'm definitely trying to get the bed earlier then usual! Even though the job interview is at 2:00pm

Megaptera
August 15th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Don't forget, they too may be nervous as it could be their first time doing hiring interviews!
Dress smart, arrive in plenty of time having sorted out you bus/train/hovercraft timetable this evening!!

Good luck!

Elfy
August 15th, 2011, 08:56 PM
And to be nervous for a job interview I'm guessing is only normal?

Yep :)

jakejw93
September 1st, 2011, 11:02 PM
Just like to inform you guys that the interview went really well and was a lot quicker then expected.

Also I was successful in the interview and got informed today that I got the job! Not bad for it being my first ever interview.

So thanks for your help guys!

Bandit
September 1st, 2011, 11:11 PM
Hey guys completely off topic!

But I got offered a job interview for tomorrow at Subway and since its such short notice I'm accepting any advice given!

So please if anyone has any advice please speak up!

Don't stress, its Subway.. Not IBM..
If you want the job, just be honest, and smile when answering their questions. Basically if your not a druggy, lair, completely rude (smartaaa) or don't bathe. You will get the job.

Bandit
September 1st, 2011, 11:12 PM
Just like to inform you guys that the interview went really well and was a lot quicker then expected.

Also I was successful in the interview and got informed today that I got the job! Not bad for it being my first ever interview.

Good deal.. I just posted late.. lol

sffvba[e0rt
September 1st, 2011, 11:15 PM

:guitar: Congrats!

nothingspecial
September 2nd, 2011, 02:10 AM
Don't stress, its Subway.. Not IBM..

That doesn't matter.

An impending job interview is stressful whoever it's for. And anyway I'm sure there are less demanding/rewarding jobs at IBM than some jobs available at Subway.

radkins2
September 2nd, 2011, 02:34 AM
That doesn't matter.

An impending jindiana recording school (http://Azmythmusictech.com) interview is stressful whoever it's for. And anyway I'm sure there are less demanding/rewarding jobs at IBM than some jobs available at Subway.
I agree, and don't be late. Give yourself plenty of time.

tmette
September 2nd, 2011, 04:19 AM
Congrats on the job! So do you get a free sandwich for every shift you work? :)

Porcini M.
September 2nd, 2011, 06:24 AM
I'll have the 12" black forest ham on italian herb bread please.

Swiss.

Black olives, pickles, tomatoes, green peppers, yellow mustard, oil & vinegar, salt & pepper.

No, just the sandwich & drink - not the meal.

Thank you. :)

BrokenKingpin
September 2nd, 2011, 04:18 PM
Congrats man. I hate job interviews, I always get really stressed out. Luckily I have been at my current job for 6-7 years, so I haven't had to go through it recently.

jakejw93
September 2nd, 2011, 07:47 PM
Congrats on the job! So do you get a free sandwich for every shift you work? :)

I should blooming hope so haha! :P

EDIT: Found out I do! Woop! + a Cookie :P

jakejw93
September 2nd, 2011, 07:47 PM
I'll have the 12" black forest ham on italian herb bread please.

Swiss.

Black olives, pickles, tomatoes, green peppers, yellow mustard, oil & vinegar, salt & pepper.

No, just the sandwich & drink - not the meal.

Thank you. :)

Brain overload, Fired from subway - Thanks! haha :P

Shpongle
September 2nd, 2011, 08:56 PM
too late , well congrats anyway :-D