PDA

View Full Version : 6.06 Dapper Drake...

Master Shake
May 26th, 2006, 02:51 PM
...Just a few more days!

Woo hoo!

fuscia
May 26th, 2006, 03:26 PM
i'm excited. the laptop i ordered from system76 comes with breezy installed, but they asked me if i wanted dapper instead.

Rackerz
May 26th, 2006, 03:31 PM
I'm pretty excited too, I've been enjoying the Dapper Drake flight releases. Breezy was when I first started using Ubuntu but Dapper Drake sure has come along way since I started using Breezy, Ubuntu itself has come a long way too. Can't wait :D.

jc87
May 26th, 2006, 03:45 PM
I started using Dapper for sometime now ... i think since flight 5

I´m going to wait about one/two weeks after Dapper final is released , and then remove my current Dapper partition and dist-upgrade the breezy one.

fuscia
May 26th, 2006, 03:53 PM
is there a listing somewhere of the new features of dapper?

bruce89
May 26th, 2006, 04:01 PM
is there a listing somewhere of the new features of dapper?
http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/dapperrc lists some of them, use the previous development releases links at the bottom of the page to see other features.
http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/dapperbeta is probably the best.

bonzodog
May 26th, 2006, 04:06 PM
I am going to wait until final, then clean install my root partition from a Xubuntu ISO, as the greater majority of the upgrades should be done by then.

dosed150
May 26th, 2006, 04:07 PM
I upgraded to the dapper drake rc yesterday its pretty good rhythmbox wouldnt play any of my mp3's though but i got listen and its much better it shows album covers and lyrics, also the media buttons on my keyboard dont work anymore but no big loss really

SeanTater
May 26th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Great!
So when will edgy be available to try?

Lord Illidan
May 26th, 2006, 04:08 PM
I upgraded to the dapper drake rc yesterday its pretty good rhythmbox wouldnt play any of my mp3's though but i got listen and its much better it shows album covers and lyrics, also the media buttons on my keyboard dont work anymore but no big loss really

Install the gstreamer-ugly packages in multiverse or universe, forgot which!

Media buttons? I dunno, try and reconfigure them.

fuscia
May 26th, 2006, 04:15 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/dapperrc lists some of them, use the previous development releases links at the bottom of the page to see other features.
http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/dapperbeta is probably the best.

thanks, bruce.

first thing that caught my eye (2nd link) - 8. built for speed.

jeremy
May 26th, 2006, 04:27 PM
I am excited about it, but seeing as I started with one of the grumpy betas, then went on to grumpy release, and on to hoary, then breezy (which I am still using). I may not upgrade at the first possible moment as before, I might even wait an hour or two this time.

bruce89
May 26th, 2006, 04:38 PM
I am excited about it, but seeing as I started with one of the grumpy betas, then went on to grumpy release, and on to hoary, then breezy (which I am still using). I may not upgrade at the first possible moment as before, I might even wait an hour or two this time.
Grumpy? Don't you mean Hoary? Grumpy hasn't appeared yet, it is to be a bleeding edge thing.

GarethMB
May 26th, 2006, 05:48 PM
i've been using dapper since beta two as my primary OS and i love it.

Just installed compiz aiglx :D

Rikostan
May 26th, 2006, 06:11 PM
I have been running dapper on a machine at work and a laptop here at home for a couple of months now, but I just upgraded my main machine last night.
Had a few issues, but they were quickly solved.

IYY
May 26th, 2006, 06:27 PM
I really hope they change the logout button before shipping.

Compucore
May 26th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Hopefully it'll work with my Old aptiva as well since I am using Hoary on that one as well as Breezy on my second dell computer here. If I can get it to work with both I'll be happy with that. Breezy didn't like my aptiva too well for some strange reason. Otherwise everything else that I have seen from Dapper looks great. I have even preordered 10 cd when they will first ship out. I want to try it out so badly here.

Compucore

Christmas
May 26th, 2006, 06:46 PM
It has a real problem with audio. I play UT2004Demo for Linux and when I close it and then open amaroK i have an error "xine engine couldn't be initialized" and I can't get any sound from it. I tried Debian which is said to be "rock stable" but OMG, Debian 3.1r2 Sarge is nothing more than a Windows Me. It sucks when it comes to fullscreen apps, it either blocks and I have to restart, the apps crash very often on both KDE and GNOME. God hope that this problems will be fixed by the time the official release.

LE: I noticed I have to wait about 5 minutes until I have to go to amaroK's settings and select xine engine again, because it's not selected anymore after I close the game. I'm using Kubuntu flight 7 with all the updates.