PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't log into a protected PDF

airspeed
August 15th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I can't seem to get the PDF document to unlock when I put in my username and password.

gandaran
August 15th, 2011, 07:50 PM
what application are you using? evince or adobe reader?

WyleECoyote
August 15th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I "think" I know what you are talking about and unfortunately that is not possible... or at least was not when I needed it about a year ago when I was doing UOP online so I had to use windblows to login and view the pdfs with Adobe and I think foxit also worked, the problem is the DRM protection that it has to download from the internet. I am sure there are work arounds but even if I did know, there would be legality issues that I dare not risk.

I hope to be wrong but if you were able to get the pdf login stage there may be hope, please make sure to update this thread if you find the legal work around I am very interested

airspeed
August 15th, 2011, 09:35 PM
what application are you using? evince or adobe reader?
okay, i see. I loaded acrobat reader and it works...thanks!

airspeed
August 15th, 2011, 09:40 PM
The default app on Lucid is Evince. I did not know that until gandarin asked. I went to "Applications" and then "Software Center" and searched for Adobe Acrobat Reader 9 and downloaded it and made it my default. Now I can access the documents that are password protected from the server which is at UOP online.

WyleECoyote
August 15th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Nice thank you, I wish it worked back when I needed it. BTW good luck with UOP it is a very difficult course, or at least was for me not so much the work but working with others that I have never met. It was actually a couple years ago when I tried I guess a lot happens through the years and that was the first and only time I have ever needed to read DRM'd pdfs