PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Cleaned up Grub now Kubuntu boot hangs

silvervein
August 15th, 2011, 05:36 PM
****** Due to lack of responses I've just reloaded the machine. I would have rather learned how to fix it but I was unable to find help *******

I decided to clean up Grub and now I can't boot into linux. I think there was an error on my laptop when I was removing my old files now when I boot I get a purple screen with "Kubuntu 10.04" with 4 dots that light up under it in the center of the screen.

I've deleted the old files using the software management under systems settings. I've always cleaned up by desktop and Laptop this way and have never had an issue.

What I've noticed. My desktop grub menu shows

"ubuntu, with linux 2.6.32-33 generic"

My laptop now shows

"Debian, with linux 2.6.32-33 generic"

Don't know if that is worth anything or not.

I can get into the recovery mode to a point but the following keeps scrolling across the screen and is making things difficult to work.

"hub 2-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 5"

I can log into the system (fighting the above statement) but it is all command line and I have no idea what to do next. I've tried apt-get update along with some other apt-get commands but I'm just shooting in the dark.

Other than reloading (I have NVIDIA drivers that were a pain to set up) anyone know how I can fix my system?

I used a USB knoppix boot to get my data off the linux partition so my data is backed up (other than system settings) Any help is appreciated. Thanks!