PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Setting Up External Monitor with Laptop VGA Out

mysticxhobo
August 15th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Hi, I'm running the ubuntu natty on an IBM thinkpad. I'm trying to connect an external monitor to the laptop so I can essentially have two monitors to work with. In windows once you cannot the second monitor and right and go to properties the 2nd screen shows up and you enable it to extend your desktop. When i connect the monitor in ubuntu I can either work on the 2nd monitor with the laptop LCD off or work on the laptop and have the 2nd monitor in standby. Ive tried looking in system -> preferences -> monitors but only one screen shows up. Also since this a laptop with VGA out there is only one video card in the machine which i think is causing the problem. Thanks in advance James

androssofer
August 15th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Hi, I'm running the ubuntu natty on an IBM thinkpad. I'm trying to connect an external monitor to the laptop so I can essentially have two monitors to work with. In windows once you cannot the second monitor and right and go to properties the 2nd screen shows up and you enable it to extend your desktop. When i connect the monitor in ubuntu I can either work on the 2nd monitor with the laptop LCD off or work on the laptop and have the 2nd monitor in standby. Ive tried looking in system -> preferences -> monitors but only one screen shows up. Also since this a laptop with VGA out there is only one video card in the machine which i think is causing the problem. Thanks in advance James

is it a nvidia graphics card? cus the nvidia driver settings have a few options for 2nd display. twinview etc

or if you install the "gnomeconfig settings manager" is a few options in it that might help...

madjr
August 15th, 2011, 12:49 PM
check if the screens are "cloned" (same image) and switch that off