PDA

View Full Version : Meet Ubuntu

Rikostan
May 26th, 2006, 01:53 PM
I am pretty sure I saw somebody else here named their pet Ubuntu, so it's not original, but it's what we chose. He was found in an oil filled pipe at a fruit packaging plant I do part time tech support for. We have given him a couple of baths, but he still looks oily on his chest.
He is also still a little skittish, but we are making him feel at home and even though he has only been with us two days, he is already coming out of his shell.
My kids call him oobie, but his name is Ubuntu. :)

Simian
May 26th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Cute cat and cute name. I take it his eyes look like that because of the camara (flash maybe) or are they damaged?

Rikostan
May 26th, 2006, 01:58 PM
No just the flash. He has really, really light blue eyes though.

Phlosten
May 26th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Very cute! oooobie ooobbbie dooo where are you?!

Jucato
May 26th, 2006, 02:43 PM
I love cats! I love Ubuntu! cute little kitty! :D

jethro10
May 26th, 2006, 03:18 PM
I hope my wife doesn't find this picture, she thinks its time we have another cat (we have 2).
But it is cute, and very thoughtfull of you. all our animals have been rescue ones.

J

fuscia
May 26th, 2006, 03:24 PM
He is also still a little skittish, but we are making him feel at home and even though he has only been with us two days, he is already coming out of his shell.

he'll own you in a week.

He has really, really light blue eyes though.

is he deaf? (most white cats with blue eyes are. some genetic thing.)

helpme
May 26th, 2006, 03:43 PM
OMG ponies, eh, kiddies (http://cuteoverload.com/) ;)

Seriously, sweet. :D

Rikostan
May 26th, 2006, 05:35 PM
He seems to hear okay. He always looks around when I make noises at him, but something to watch for I guess. We are taking him to the vet next week for his shots and a checkup, so I'll make sure to ask about that.

mostwanted
May 26th, 2006, 06:01 PM
I noticed that your cat's eyes fit into the Ubuntu palette.

Rikostan
May 26th, 2006, 06:13 PM
LOL I saw that too, but it's just in the picture. They aren't really those shades of brown in the middle.

Super King
May 26th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Cute cat, a nice story too :)

bored2k
May 26th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Funny. You found him just when Ubuntu released it's Dapper Released Candidate, which is not yet -officialy- stable/clean, and you're cat is still oily and not-as-clean-as-he-will-be. He better look sparkly clean on June 1st, or that could mean really bad things for all of us! We want those pictures!

Rikostan
May 26th, 2006, 07:26 PM
LOL! I didn't even think of that.. Maybe I should call him Drake instead? We got him the day before I installed Dapper on my main machine...

bored2k
May 26th, 2006, 07:28 PM
LOL! I didn't even think of that.. Maybe I should call him Drake instead? We got him the day before I installed Dapper on my main machine...
I think Oobie/Ubuntu sounds just fine.

fuscia
May 26th, 2006, 07:42 PM
He seems to hear okay. He always looks around when I make noises at him, but something to watch for I guess. We are taking him to the vet next week for his shots and a checkup, so I'll make sure to ask about that.

it's a birth thing. even if he were deaf, it doesn't make much difference to them. my cat, rachel, went stone deaf at the age of 17 (i guess the warranty ran out). she was much calmer not hearing thunderstorms and the vacuum cleaner.

Biltong (Dee)
May 26th, 2006, 07:52 PM
I know the feeling.
My cat Tig went blind at 15 and I swear, as long as we didn't moved the furniture around he was quite happy.
He frightened my neighbours half to death tho' cos his eyes went pure white. They called him the Spook Kat, which translates quite well in any language I think :-)

Rikostan
June 10th, 2006, 02:16 AM
Okay it's been a little while now.. Ubuntu is a lot cleaner and feels totally at home. He usually ends up sleeping on my head. :)
Take a look at the first pic, then look at these...
He is totally white except for one spot on his nose and he has orange strips on his tail.
http://www.rikostan.com/images/ubuntu1.jpg

http://www.rikostan.com/images/ubuntu2.jpg

http://www.rikostan.com/images/ubuntu3.jpg

Mirrorball
June 10th, 2006, 03:38 AM
he'll own you in a week.

is he deaf? (most white cats with blue eyes are. some genetic thing.)
Really? My two cats have blue eyes and they don't seem to be deaf. And Ubuntu is very cute!

Jucato
June 10th, 2006, 04:26 AM
Aw man! he's so adorable!
Kinda makes me jealous! I love cats, but I can't own/keep one... :(

The first pic is a bit scary, though. Too bad we couldn't see his blue eyes that much. :D