PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to rollback NVIDIA driver (11.04)

Мохнатый
August 15th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Hello!
I've used the 270'th version of NVIDIA driver with my GTS450 graphic card. After publishing the new 280 version of driver on NVIDIA resource, i've tried to install it manually. Installation was successfull, but when booting a conflict between versions was found(from kern.log) and only console mode is available. How can i rollback NVIDIA driver in console mode? Previous configuration of xorg.conf has been backuped.

Thank's.

Мохнатый
August 15th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Will try to remove kernel module and install again.

Frogs Hair
August 15th, 2011, 03:38 PM
You could run the purge command to remove the unwanted driver and then reinstall nvidia-current .

sudo apt-get --purge remove package name

To see a package list .

dpkg --list

To install Nvidia current , which is 270.41 .

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

Duncan Williams
August 15th, 2011, 05:10 PM
also if you want to re-install 280.
check this ppa > no manual messing about then...
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates

280 from this ppa works fine on my system >
Kernel : Linux 2.6.38-10-generic (i686)

Bobhuber
August 16th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Hello!
I've used the 270'th version of NVIDIA driver with my GTS450 graphic card. After publishing the new 280 version of driver on NVIDIA resource, i've tried to install it manually. Installation was successfull, but when booting a conflict between versions was found(from kern.log) and only console mode is available. How can i rollback NVIDIA driver in console mode? Previous configuration of xorg.conf has been backuped.

Thank's.

Follow the purge instructions and stick with the Nvidia current. I'm running (3) different op systems and have had nothing but problems with the new drivers with a GT430 card. The 270.41.06 has been very stable on all three systems. SUSE 11.04 gnome 3 - Unity - 10.10.

Мохнатый
August 16th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Thank's all for help. Problem has been solved for now. I've removed nvidia-current package by apt-get --purge remove, then made changes in xorg.conf (insert 'nouveau' as default driver instead of 'nvidia'). These actions i've made under recovery console. After that i've booted on system and installed nvidia-current package. And finally i've replaced 'nouveau' by 'nvidia' in xorg.conf under recovery console. Then my 11.04 works ok.
I've also added repository by Duncan Williams to repositories, but now will not update (will not risk :)). Will do it later.

james19
August 16th, 2011, 07:08 PM
All efforts will be useless. You must re-install it.

Duncan Williams
August 17th, 2011, 05:21 AM
It mentions to purge in the 280 x repo.
But I never did that. I just added repository to update manager and when it showed up in update manager, clicked install, rebooted after updates. All was good, also a bit faster than it was before for me on high quality settings.

(went from 270 to 280)