PDA

View Full Version : You really can't do without Windows??

elijahclarity
May 26th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I think we all know that many CDs that come with Windows programs (be they Britannica CDs, CDs accmpanying science books, Dictionary CDs, PictureProjectCD which came with my Nikon Coolpix & fixes red-eye defect in pics, and a whole lotta other CDs!) look for essential Windows components like IE, Windows Media Player, Quicktime etc. and simply won't run on Linux alone.

Using Wine, I think IE & Windows Media Player etc. can be installed on Ubuntu BUT according to the Windows End User License Agreement, its a copyright violation, (and hence ILLEGAL) UNLESS you actually OWN an original copy of Windows! I got this info from the "Beginning Ubuntu Linux" book I've been reading. So it seems u really can't do without Windows!:-k

Ain't there a way out? OTHER than buying Windows and burning a hole in your precious pocket?](*,)

On another note, is it in anyway illegal to install w32codecs & use mplayer-plugin & flash in Firefox for streaming media & Flash movies?

I don't want to do anything unethical or illegal so I really need guidance here.

Btw, I won that "Beginning Ubuntu Linux" from the DWW competition few weeks ago:p and have been reading it everyday since then!:cool:

Other than those CDs, I have no need for Windows....Kubuntu suits me nicely.

Any help or advice on this would be highly appreciated.....

Thanks

fuscia
May 26th, 2006, 01:06 PM
windows?

bruce89
May 26th, 2006, 01:11 PM
On another note, is it in anyway illegal to install w32codecs & use mplayer-plugin & flash in Firefox for streaming media & Flash movies?
w32codecs is illegal in the USA, but the rest is legal AFAIK.

Sef
May 26th, 2006, 01:22 PM
w32codecs is illegal in the USA,

Will the computer cops go around checking individual computers for w32codecs? Don't think it will be a high priority. If a vendor does it, then they may get busted, but not individuals downloading them. After all, they aren't for pirating music.

bruce89
May 26th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Will the computer cops go around checking individual computers for w32codecs? Don't think it will be a high priority. If a vendor does it, then they may get busted, but not individuals downloading them. After all, they aren't for pirating music.
No, obviously not.

Dragonbite
May 26th, 2006, 02:37 PM
w32codecs is illegal in the USA, but the rest is legal AFAIK.
Do you know where I can find out more about the legalities? I went to the Restricted Format Wiki and it just has a blanket
Some of the packages listed here may be illegal in your country.statement but where can I find out specifics on WHAT is illegal and WHERE?!

Thanks!

bruce89
May 26th, 2006, 02:38 PM
The USA is the only place where this would be illegal, but I doubt the FBI would be at your door the day after installing them.

warp99
May 26th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Also in the United States the terms are ambiquous because you don't need the windows software to run the codecs, but only a license of windows. Also the terms do not specific which codecs, which versions. So in reality you could have a license for Windows 3.1 and be within you legal right here in the United States to use any codec version. :cool:

an.echte.trilingue
May 26th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Do you know where I can find out more about the legalities? I went to the Restricted Format Wiki and it just has a blanket statement but where can I find out specifics on WHAT is illegal and WHERE?!

Thanks!

Rest assured, if it is illegal anywhere, it is illegal in the United States (land of the slightly less free) since the US is the only country with an interest in protecting formats mostly owned by US companies (looks at Bill), as well the only country with a real interest in supporting DRM to protect its #2 national industry: entertainment.

So, libdvdcss (necessary to play most DVDs) is ILLEGAL, anything that will decode mpegs is ILLEGAL, and anything that decodes proprietary formats for which you already own a license is AMBIGUOUS.

However, illegal does not mean immoral. If that were true then most of us would have long been morally corrupted by our refusal to obey speed limits all the time. Indeed, from a certain point of view it is obligatory to use these formats to defend freedom. But then, from another point of view it is wrong and we should only use formats that the creators and owners have given us the right to use.

You have to decide for yourself.

Kilz
May 26th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Also in the United States the terms are ambiquous because you don't need the windows software to run the codecs, but only a license of windows. Also the terms do not specific which codecs, which versions. So in reality you could have a license for Windows 3.1 and be within you legal right here in the United States to use any codec version. :cool:

It is my understanding that if you bought a new computer with windows pre installed you should have a windows license for that computer. The microsoft tax may be useful to some. The only people who would have to worry then are people who built their own computers.