PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading from LTS to another! Is it possible?

sultanf
August 14th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Upgrading from release to another! is it completely safe?

Upgrading ubuntu includes kernel, libraries, and tools ... updates. When the next LTS will be released, does the current LTS will be able to be transformed to?

Why I'm asking?
I'm running Lucid, and after all the addition upgrades and installations, it will be unfortunate to either loose all of it and to stuck with it forever.

Edited:
I read the: I upgraded, and now I have this error...
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1580857
and it answered me well. Well, but have you successfully upgrade a release to another. Tell me please.

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 14th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Upgrading from release to another! is it completely safe?
Part of the reason I'm running Linux is because a Microsoft Windows update trashed my system. I had wanted to try Linux for a while. When Windows trashed itself, I thought well, if I am going to have to reinstall then it is a perfect time to dual boot. Updating or upgrading any OS is not completely safe...read my signature below.

Upgrading ubuntu includes kernel, libraries, and tools ... updates. When the next LTS will be released, does the current LTS will be able to be transformed to?
You can try to upgrade from LTS to LTS, it is supposed to work; however...read my signature below.

Why I'm asking?
I'm running Lucid, and after all the addition upgrades and installations, it will be unfortunate to either loose all of it and to stuck with it forever.
Read my signature below...that is why you backup your computer.

Edited:
I read the: I upgraded, and now I have this error...
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1580857
and it answered me well. Well, but have you successfully upgrade a release to another. Tell me please.
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, and it is not a problem limited to Linux distros. I use Microsoft Windows and Mac OS. Sometimes I have needed to do a fresh install and recover files from backups regardless of the OS.

Edit: I actually read mörgæs post you linked to. There was a lot of good advice in there.