PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] MS wireless keyboard and mouse not detected, can't install

rmueller23
August 14th, 2011, 01:33 AM
After building up a new machine and installing Win 7 on the main drive, I wanted to install Ubuntu on an additional hard drive in the system and dual boot. I downloaded the 64-bit 11.04 ISO, and burned to a disc. When I boot off the disc, I reach the Try/Install Ubuntu selection screen only to find out that the wireless keyboard and mouse have not been detected (MS Wireless Keyboard 3000 V2.0 and MS Wireless Mouse 5000). I can't do anything. I do have another wireless mouse for my laptop (MS Wireless Mobile Mouse 6000); if I plug in the little USB dongle it recognizes it immediately, and I can move the mouse cursor. Unfortunately I don't have any other keyboards, so I won't be able enter in any information if I do try to install.

I did choose "Try Ubuntu", and it booted to a desktop....but it still will not detect the main wireless keyboard and mouse, even if I unplug the laptop mouse and reinsert the main dongle for my kb/mouse combo.

I'd rather have Ubuntu for my Linux install, but I'm not buying a new kb/mouse just to get that done.....if there's nothing I can do I guess I'll just have to try another distro. Any suggestions?

rmueller23
August 14th, 2011, 03:11 AM
I don't get it. I've tried Ubuntu, Mint (same basic underpinnings, I know), and Fedora....none of them will recognize the keyboard or mouse. I've Googled "MS wireless desktop 3000 linux", and can find example of people stating that they had it working with Linux. WTH?

infamous-online
August 14th, 2011, 05:19 AM
I don't get it. I've tried Ubuntu, Mint (same basic underpinnings, I know), and Fedora....none of them will recognize the keyboard or mouse. I've Googled "MS wireless desktop 3000 linux", and can find example of people stating that they had it working with Linux. WTH?

Maybe that unit you have is defective, or perhaps that particular wireless keyboard and mouse drivers aren't compatible with linux for some reason, so you're either going to have to break down and buy another keyboard or wait till they come out with drivers for it.