PDA

View Full Version : There will be a Flash Player 9 for Linux

tseliot
May 26th, 2006, 09:17 AM
It looks like Adobe is actively working on the Linux version of Flash Player 9.
Please, have a look:
http://weblogs.macromedia.com/emmy/archives/2006/05/yes_virginia_th.cfm

Sef
May 26th, 2006, 09:23 AM
They have said they would do a version 9, but not version 8.

Perfect Storm
May 26th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Well, it's actually v8.5 renamed to v9

zxcv70
May 26th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Would be greate if thay could also build Macromedia Shockwave for linux...

Every one willing to have this tool sooner can write in a petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/linuxswp/petition.html

Stealth
May 26th, 2006, 12:18 PM
We expect to make a pre-release version available on Adobe Labs for early feedback and testing before the end of the year, with the full release expected in early 2007

EARLY 2007? Geez...

Teroedni
May 26th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Will it work for future platform like x86_64 Amd 64 bIt?
Anybody knows
For the moment i cant watch flash because they dont care for the 64 bit people out there:(

henriquemaia
May 26th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Will it work for future platform like x86_64 Amd 64 bIt?
Anybody knows
For the moment i cant watch flash because they dont care for the 64 bit people out there:(

Maybe they will when the userbase gets bigger.

Teroedni
May 26th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Maybe they will when the userbase gets bigger.

Well i cant wait for 2 years for them to release Flash
Its really a shame they do this:/

bruce89
May 26th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Get Gnash then, but it is not in the repositories yet.

henriquemaia
May 26th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Well i cant wait for 2 years for them to release Flash
Its really a shame they do this:/

Well, maybe, and this is a huge maybe, if Dapper hits the spotlight when it's released, companies will start to see the market in potential in Linux. The Linux userbase is getting bigger, and also the Linux 64bit userbase. Ubuntu is making this even more true, in a faster pace.

Kimm
May 26th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Mark seems to bee quite able to smooth talk Company leadership, you see headlines everywhere, where he has been to see someone and how they have talked about Open Source (Java for example) and the all of a sudden... Poff!

henriquemaia
May 26th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Mark seems to bee quite able to smooth talk Company leadership, you see headlines everywhere, where he has been to see someone and how they have talked about Open Source (Java for example) and the all of a sudden... Poff!

I was talking about Dapper quality, but you're right. There are several thing going on at the same time.

Harold P
May 26th, 2006, 05:19 PM
ABOUT TIME. I've been waiting to use it for a while--guess we'll have to wait even longer...

Lovechild
May 26th, 2006, 06:09 PM
My question.. will I be getting the source under and OSI approved license.. if not what can I truly use this for, it will only run on platforms Adobe deems suitable

"Linux on PPC users, x86_64 Linux users.. kindly screw yourselves, love Adobe"

Kilz
May 26th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Well, maybe, and this is a huge maybe, if Dapper hits the spotlight when it's released, companies will start to see the market in potential in Linux. The Linux userbase is getting bigger, and also the Linux 64bit userbase. Ubuntu is making this even more true, in a faster pace.

While Ubuntu may be making the Linux user base larger. I don't think its making the Linux 64bit user base larger. I have read a lot of recommendations on this forum telling people to forget 64 bit and install 32 bit instead.

bonzodog
May 26th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Gnash people!!!

Macromedia are fully aware of the Gnash project, and I believe are secretly hoping that the community will go to it. Gnash runs on any arch, as we can build it from source.

Kimm
May 27th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I think we will see Adobe supporting the Gnash project in the future, as it will releave them of work and make customers happy

Xilon
May 28th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Gnash people!!!

Macromedia are fully aware of the Gnash project, and I believe are secretly hoping that the community will go to it. Gnash runs on any arch, as we can build it from source.
We still probably won't see a stable version of Gnash until early 2007 ;) The end result will be pretty much the same, atm Gnash is definitely not stable enough to be used, it crashes on the only page that I need flash for :p

Hope they do care aout 64bit archs... would be a shame if all this hype was for nothing (for me) :(