PDA

View Full Version : Wine drivers issue, Game cannot find CD-ROM

Tekno.Statik
August 13th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I meant to say: "Wine Drives Issue" not "Wine Drivers Issue" sorry.

I've tried installing Black and White 2, Sim City 4 Deluxe, and Finally Sim City 3000 Unlimited in that order.

But Wine seems to be having an error, installation goes well, installation was a breeze on all three games, but when it comes down to playing the game it failed on all three...

To my understanding; you have to specify where Wine should take the files and see them as a CD, I've tried both directories; /media and even a copy of the CD in my home folder.

I downloaded the game, so I even burned all games to see if the games were not being read as CDs, but after 4 discs, none work.

Here's a final error where the game says CD is not found next to WINE Config.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-31K_2c_DBdw/Tkb8aB709FI/AAAAAAAACSI/J-tJF3chaYc/s800/Cannot%252520locate%252520the%252520CD-ROM.png

Thanks.

Tekno.Statik
August 13th, 2011, 11:45 PM
And yes, I have also tried Autodetect a million times even with the CD in but it doesn't go through as it should.

I've also ripped CDs recently, so my ROM should be fine as far as READs and BURNs.

mdshann
August 14th, 2011, 12:15 AM
They might have copy protection enabled that does not work correctly in Wine. There are some DRM methods that look at parts of the CD not normally used. I don't know if this is kosher on the forums or not, but my recommendation would be to try a no-cd patch.

kyletstrand
August 14th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Yeah, had a similar issue with SC3K and Diablo II.
cracking it should solve it, but I'm not going to advise it ;)

Tekno.Statik
August 14th, 2011, 03:25 AM
How do you crack? I thought the whole point of Piratebay was to get software that worked regardless of those limitations - hence pre-cracked.

Anyways, here's my latest crazy attempt which failed anyways, lol:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-XDv_YhgGf0E/TkcxOXPQfoI/AAAAAAAACSk/JLNkUR6bSTY/s800/Screenshot.png

Tekno.Statik
August 14th, 2011, 03:30 AM
So what old games have worked for you guys? Just to test, I hope this does not mean there's something wrong with my CD-ROM.

kyletstrand
August 14th, 2011, 03:56 AM
I'm about 99% sure your CDRom drive is fine. Sometimes it's just not that easy.

I'd recommend googling how to handle the cracks as I don't believe it's in the best interest of the forum to have this info posted on it :)