PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install torrent client on external HD

rafael_a
August 13th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Hello,
I have Ubuntu on my notebook. I wanted to install a torrent client on my external HDD. Can I install a client and then just move it to the HDD?
If so, how can I find where the app is installed? This is a great mystery to me. I really think that synaptic should show me where the hell it installed the application.

Thanks in advance!

haqking
August 13th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Hello,
I have Ubuntu 10.4 on my Lenovo T400 notebook. I wanted to install a torrent client on my external HDD. Can I install a client and then just move it to the HDD?
If so, how can I find where the app is installed? This is a great mystery to me. I really think that synaptic should show me where the hell it installed the application.

Thanks in advance!

most apps are stored in /usr /usr/bin or usr/sbin or occasionally /opt

it is not great mystery, the FSH or filesystem heirarchy is well known in Linux.

However why would you want it installed on a externall HDD, it takes up next to no space

rafael_a
August 13th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the quick answer haqking!
I know the structure and stuff, but I know too that each distribution uses one pattern, and even that each app might end up in a different place. That really makes no sense to me, and I still think that it would be useful to have the path of the app on synaptic, and even to be able to select where to install that.
Now, about why I want to install a torrent client on an external HDD, that's because I use this machine at work, and it's monitored when inside the company network. But I still want to be able to use torrent to download books and stuff. So this would be a solution.
Anyway, the question still stands. Can I install a torrent client and just move it to the HDD? As I see, linux apps are all standalone, no registry work needed, but there could be some path problems, and maybe other naugthy stuff.

Thanks!

haqking
August 13th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the quick answer haqking!
I know the structure and stuff, but I know too that each distribution uses one pattern, and even that each app might end up in a different place. That really makes no sense to me, and I still think that it would be useful to have the path of the app on synaptic, and even to be able to select where to install that.
Now, about why I want to install a torrent client on an external HDD, that's because I use this machine at work, and it's monitored when inside the company network. But I still want to be able to use torrent to download books and stuff. So this would be a solution.
Anyway, the question still stands. Can I install a torrent client and just move it to the HDD? As I see, linux apps are all standalone, no registry work needed, but there could be some path problems, and maybe other naugthy stuff.

Thanks!

NO you cant take the app on a external HDD and use it on your machine at work.

You could take a USB or CD live with linux installed and use the buitl in Transmission torrent client but it means booting your machine to that and again would likely circumvent your network policy.

If i was you i would go to work to work ;-)

And if your computer network is monitored you are not likely to be able to use .torrents on the network anyways.

rafael_a
August 14th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Hi, you did not understand. Maybe I wasn't very clear.
This is my machine, I bought it. I use it to work too. I don't want to download torrents at work. I want to be able to download torrents at home.
But anyway, the question is answered, thanks a lot.

haqking
August 14th, 2011, 01:44 AM
Hi, you did not understand. Maybe I wasn't very clear.
This is my machine, I bought it. I use it to work too. I don't want to download torrents at work. I want to be able to download torrents at home.
But anyway, the question is answered, thanks a lot.

ok i understand, it is a machine you use at work and at home and dont want to install anything to the laptop, but want to use apps when at home but not installed on your machine.

Like i said best bet is to use Live CD or USB and download the torrents to your external HDD when at home