PDA

View Full Version : Help with adding windows 7

Almostinsane
August 13th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I wasn't sure what area to post this in, I am completely new to this forum. Please let me know if I posted it in the wrong area! :)

Hi everyone!

I have googled for hours trying to figure out how to replace LINUX with Windows 7 and/or just add it after adding Linux(Whatever option is easier, I can always just re-add linux if I miss it). But its not just that I made a stupid mistake, heres a bit of a back story.

Right now I am on a toshiba laptop. it has idle for quite a few months just sitting collecting dust because both my brother and dad had tried to fix it to no avail(Reformat gone wrong). We have 2 windows 7 disk, a 98 disk AND a Ubuntu Linux disk. I figure I would give it a shot, as I have nothing better to do. I had tried Linux before and didn't like it - I am a gamer - so I decided that would be my last resort. I tried both windows 7 disks, and I couldn't get them to start up, and it was an issue just to get the computer to stay on. so I finally got Ubuntu on after trying almost everything else. I ignored the update figuring I wouldn't need it to get Wine, as I was going to stick with Ubuntu. Well, I ended up installing 98 over Ubuntu, realising it wouldn't work even just to upgrade to 7, so I had to put ubuntu on again. I tried dual installing ubuntu and partitioning it, but I had no idea what I was doing so had to install Ubuntu AGAIN, but this time just as a stand alone. I didn't install it properly, so I re-installed it and updated to 11.11 or whatever Ubuntu is on now.
I have tried to use Gparted but it won't let me modify anything. I just need windows 7 back on because this is meant for gaming more then anything. the only reason why I'm bothering is because this laptop is better then my desktop.
So to sum it up if I confused you,

Installed linux
Installed a dual linux, attempting to partition but failing
Installed linux over the partitioned system
installed 98
reinstalled linux attempting to partition again but failing
reinstalled linux to the full system
attempted to use GParted but failed.

Also as a side note, Ubuntu is refusing to recognize either of my CDs for windows 7. I have a upgrade version of windows 7 that you need a previous windows on to run, and a cracked CD(we have a Code, we just need to be able to get 7 on.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I am sorry if I didn't explain things very well or posted in the wrong forum. I have tried everything, and I am at the end of my patience.

mr.farenheit
August 13th, 2011, 05:22 PM
are you running gparted from the linux os itself or from a live distro?

Basher101
August 13th, 2011, 05:26 PM
If he has no access to the formatting tools that means his hard drive is mounted. You must boot from the Ubuntu CD and use GParted from the CD. Do you want a dualboot? i could guide you with screenshots, or just explain. (screens would take a bit longer than writing)

Dr. C
August 13th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I have two comments here:

1) What are the specifications for the Laptop? Ubuntu will run on some ancient hardware that does not have a hope of running Microsoft Windows 7
2) Microsoft Windows 98 is not a valid upgrade version of Microsoft Windows to upgrade to Microsoft Windows 7. One needs a valid license for Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Vista to upgrade to Microsoft Windows 7.

Basher101
August 13th, 2011, 05:34 PM
From what i read he does not even see the installer. Yes, posting your system specs would be a great help for solving your problem. The more info we get the better

mips
August 13th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Boot with the ubuntu livecd and then use gparted.

You can't use gparted while booting ubuntu from the hdd.

Almostinsane
August 15th, 2011, 09:33 PM
I can't get you the Specs for the computer - I have been trying to for the past 2 days and I'm not sure what I should be giving you, because the only one I found was a huge page full of stuff I didn't even recognise. what I do know is this, its much better then the Desktop I am using, and that is running windows 7. so I can run it, its just a matter of getting it on.

Also how do I run from a 'LiveCD'? Like I said, I don't use Ubuntu. I also don't care if I have a dual boot, I would prefer not to have one.. but it doesn't matter that much to me.

2) Microsoft Windows 98 is not a valid upgrade version of Microsoft Windows to upgrade to Microsoft Windows 7. One needs a valid license for Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Vista to upgrade to Microsoft Windows 7.

The disc that I am using reads you can upgrade from 98, XP, or Vista. I also have a code for Windows 7 like I said, its not like I'm trying to do something illegal here.