PDA

View Full Version : Would you use this alternative to an IPod

ki4jgt
August 13th, 2011, 01:07 AM
With Apple finding ways to mess with products that consumers are buying (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1822652) and given the current cost of a quality tablet, I'm wondering if this isn't worth considering. Please note: I'm not asking or suggesting anyone do this, I'm just getting an idea as to how popular this may be.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2259556,00.asp

The Zipit Z2 is a handheld IMing device. It works off of wifi. It sells for $15 brand new online, and an SD card to expand it could easily be bought for $10. Currently I believe, it handles up to 8 gigs. There were several OSs available for this. Most play multimedia files. All of which except 1 have been deprecated. Included is a picture of the device running one of those deprecated OSs (rootnexus' userland).

As mentioned above, it has great multimedia support (audio and video) and all the drivers and keyboard layouts have been extracted by other users. For the wifi driver it uses Libertas (hope I spelled that correctly).

How many people would be interested in an OS for this thing which is graphical in nature, easily maneuverable, and allows it's users to install apps from an Open App Market? The OS would based on Linux ideology. Meaning, the user puts whatever they want on the system. The system would of course have it's own programming language for the apps and games which the user could install (for security purposes)

The design would be a hybrid between an Android and iOS, and would be completely open sourced. App developers could charge whatever they wanted for their applications.

Would you be interested?

Again: I'm not asking anyone to build, and I'm not planning on building, just throwing ideas around.

cgroza
August 13th, 2011, 01:20 AM
As replacement for an iPod? An iPod fits into a pocket, this doesn't.

ki4jgt
August 13th, 2011, 01:26 AM
As replacement for an iPod? An iPod fits into a pocket, this doesn't.

Mine fits into my pocket quite well, and they have carrying cases for them.

KUU
August 13th, 2011, 01:36 AM
I like to have ipod when jogging, Are you sure it is'nt the iPad you are meant to be talking about because the iPod is a totally different thing to that clunky....

ki4jgt
August 13th, 2011, 01:43 AM
I like to have ipod when jogging, Are you sure it is'nt the iPad you are meant to be talking about because the iPod is a totally different thing to that clunky....

The Ipad works too, but the Zipit is a different size than the Ipad. It could never compete. Also, with the carrying case, one could take it jogging with them. The drive isn't going to mess up by being shook.

mamamia88
August 13th, 2011, 01:47 AM
how can you expect to get something to compete wtih the ipad for $15? you got me interested though

ki4jgt
August 13th, 2011, 01:56 AM
how can you expect to get something to compete wtih the ipad for $15? you got me interested though

http://zipit.rootnexus.org/

This is the deprecated OS from the photo. Imagine, instead, a layout similar to the android. You have a home screen, with about four icons. Wifi, App store, Installed Apps, and mp3 functions. Because there is no touch screen, you use the <>^v buttons to navigate and play games/use apps. Of course, for $15, nothing can "compete" with iOS, but, it's a heck of a lot cheaper, and pretty much has everything that is wifi capable. It's basically sacrificing price for a gps, camera, touch screen and screen rotation, for $15 that isn't bad.
The OS, is open sourced, so it can be modified, and with every release, the OS would become more and more customized for the device.

Dr. C
August 13th, 2011, 02:33 AM
No. First the device is $150 not $15. There are many good alternatives to an iPod depending on what the iPod is used for ranging from music players to cell phones. As for the texting, how is one supposed the receive a text message on this device?

ki4jgt
August 13th, 2011, 03:02 AM
No. First the device is $150 not $15. There are many good alternatives to an iPod depending on what the iPod is used for ranging from music players to cell phones. As for the texting, how is one supposed the receive a text message on this device?

First, the device is $15. I've already purchased 2. Secondly, Google Voice has GREAT options for this :-)

Thewhistlingwind
August 13th, 2011, 03:08 AM
No, I'd go buy a REAL portable audio player.

ki4jgt
August 13th, 2011, 03:11 AM
Here would be a great layout.

ki4jgt
August 13th, 2011, 03:12 AM
No, I'd go buy a REAL portable audio player.

What's not real about it?

TheNosh
August 13th, 2011, 03:44 AM
First, the device is $15. I've already purchased 2. Secondly, Google Voice has GREAT options for this :-)
Wanna give us a link to where one can purchase it for $15?

christoph411
August 13th, 2011, 03:49 AM
I don't really see the appeal of this device when there are already much sleeker and feature rich devices in existence....

ki4jgt
August 13th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Wanna give us a link to where one can purchase it for $15?

Sorry guys. . . :-( The company I got mine from went out of business. Just typed the website in from the receipt. However a guy is selling them on Ebay for $29.99.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Zipit-Wireless-Messenger-2-Z2-New-/150647337599?pt=PDA_s_Pocket_PC_s&hash=item231347f27f#ht_500wt_951

Amazon also sells for $50. Apparently, the main zipit site has been shut down since I ordered my second one (not too long ago)??? WTF?

This really sucks :-( I've actually been hacking away at it, and wanted to share some of my programs and all of the sudden it's crap :-(.

Thewhistlingwind
August 13th, 2011, 04:06 AM
What's not real about it?

For 15$, I'm pretty sure the sound quality won't be a match for the ipod, which in it's own right isn't the greatest.

ki4jgt
August 13th, 2011, 04:15 AM
For 15$, I'm pretty sure the sound quality won't be a match for the ipod, which in it's own right isn't the greatest.

Well. . . for your money's worth, or for mine, now that I've just learned the companies site is no longer in operation and that they're no longer distributed, I'd have to say. . . I got my money's worth. It originally sold for $50. I got mine from a 3rd world business, which until a few weeks ago, was thriving greatly. :-( Now they're out of business, and the zipit is gone too :-( On to another hacking adventure I guess.
I guess the main reason I wanted this though was the ability to build something. . . and allow others to use it fairly cheaply, instead of having to depend on $400 devices.

Famicube64
August 13th, 2011, 04:37 AM
lol no

lrn2sansaclip+

Ctrl-Alt-F1
August 13th, 2011, 05:15 AM
which until a few weeks ago, was thriving greatly.

Now they're out of business, and the zipit is gone too :-(

You keep using that word! I do not think it means what you think it means.

Thewhistlingwind
August 13th, 2011, 05:33 AM
lol no

lrn2sansaclip+

+1

ki4jgt
August 13th, 2011, 05:39 AM
You keep using that word! I do not think it means what you think it means.

Which one?

Bandit
August 13th, 2011, 06:02 AM
I use my Ipod Nano for video recording and music playback. Its simple and sleek. That thing may be cool and I would like to have it, but its not what I would call an iPod replacement.

Thewhistlingwind
August 13th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Which one?

I had to read it quite a few times to get it myself, but; thriving.

Linux_junkie
August 13th, 2011, 09:46 AM
[QUOTE=ki4jgt;11146132... It sells for $15 brand new online,...[/QUOTE]

How can you make such a device for that money? Whats the profit margin on that?

Giant Speck
August 13th, 2011, 11:09 AM
No, probably not. I like my iPod Touch.

Warpnow
August 13th, 2011, 03:56 PM
This device did have alot of potential for hackers. The company made its money with plans purchased after the fact, so they were essentially subsidizing sales. That said, its out of production, and dying so...not worth building an os.

Look at Gemei/dingoo and dingux.

whatthefunk
August 13th, 2011, 04:02 PM
How can you make such a device for that money? Whats the profit margin on that?

You wouldnt believe the amazing amount of crap products that the third world can make for under twenty bucks. You can find all sorts of stuff like this in electronic markets all over the world. All of it is built like crap, runs like crap, and rarely lasts more than a couple months.

ki4jgt
August 13th, 2011, 04:20 PM
You wouldnt believe the amazing amount of crap products that the third world can make for under twenty bucks. You can find all sorts of stuff like this in electronic markets all over the world. All of it is built like crap, runs like crap, and rarely lasts more than a couple months.

Both of mine are still functional. The first one is over a year old, and is running a full Linux desktop.

d3v1150m471c
August 13th, 2011, 04:33 PM
coby makes a fairly decent device. it has windows software that comes with it but no need to use it, just drag & drop (some common sense required). iPod w/gtkpod & iBulk are still my favorites though. gotta hand it to apple, those old school iPod nano's are a good product.