PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 10.04 - Nvidia Triple Monitors - GT430

Zelandeth
August 12th, 2011, 11:19 PM
A while back, I attempted to get triple monitors working - eventually giving up on the basis that it was either impossible with the hardware I was using, or at least well beyond my abilities.

Recently I picked up an Nvidia GT430 which has three outputs onboard, saving the need for trying to get two cards to talk to the computer at once which seemed to be the earlier stumbling block.

Now...this is where the fun begins.

No matter what options I select in Nvidia-settings, I cannot seem to get more than two monitors active at once. It can be any two, but not three. The moment I try to enable Twinview on monitor number three, the settings program hangs, which isn't helpful either.

Current xorg.conf is attached.

I've been staring at this thing for long enough today that I'm now starting to chase my own tail...time to see if anyone else has some bright ideas!

I've stuck with Nvidia for quite a while now as their driver support has been pretty good...I seem to be hearing a few people mentioning that ATI have got pretty good support these days as well - would I maybe be better investigating an ATI card at some point?

Ozymandias_117
August 13th, 2011, 07:58 AM
A while back, I attempted to get triple monitors working - eventually giving up on the basis that it was either impossible with the hardware I was using, or at least well beyond my abilities.

Recently I picked up an Nvidia GT430 which has three outputs onboard, saving the need for trying to get two cards to talk to the computer at once which seemed to be the earlier stumbling block.

Now...this is where the fun begins.

No matter what options I select in Nvidia-settings, I cannot seem to get more than two monitors active at once. It can be any two, but not three. The moment I try to enable Twinview on monitor number three, the settings program hangs, which isn't helpful either.

Current xorg.conf is attached.

I've been staring at this thing for long enough today that I'm now starting to chase my own tail...time to see if anyone else has some bright ideas!

I've stuck with Nvidia for quite a while now as their driver support has been pretty good...I seem to be hearing a few people mentioning that ATI have got pretty good support these days as well - would I maybe be better investigating an ATI card at some point?

Are all three monitors at least showing up in the settings program? A lot of graphics cards have three outputs but still only support using two at one time.

Personally, I would stick with Nvidia. I run Arch Linux and have problems with my Xorg version being newer than what ATI supports where as my laptop with an Nvidia card never has issues.

vcrpcant
January 17th, 2012, 12:11 PM
I'd like to know this too!:)
Did you got this working? I've also got an GT 430