PDA

View Full Version : statistics project

mmsmc
August 12th, 2011, 03:54 PM
hi all, im doing a statistics project for school! i need to collect data and i thought this might be a perfect place, so here is the question, in general what do you use your computer for, and how long are you on it per day? i need 50 people, so hopefully this works out well :) when you choose, please post how long you are on your computer per day

cprofitt
August 12th, 2011, 04:28 PM
How does one select all three?

Average amount of time spent on computers (I have more than one) per day roughly 16 hours.

keithpeter
August 12th, 2011, 04:32 PM

+1 sort of

How does one select 'none of the above' because most of the time I'm either writing or editing sound files or cropping photos, but with some net use?

About 2 or 3 hours per day normally, more this month because its a holiday.

mmsmc
August 12th, 2011, 04:33 PM
sadly, i can only have people choose 1, due to the project guidelines, thank you for your response though :)

johnnybgoode83
August 12th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I use my computer for all three and including work I would say I am on my computer 10 hours a day

Linuxratty
August 12th, 2011, 04:41 PM
hi all, im doing a statistics project for school! i need to collect data and i thought this might be a perfect place, so here is the question, in general what do you use your computer for, and how long are you on it per day? i need 50 people, so hopefully this works out well :) when you choose, please post how long you are on your computer per day

Information,social and for fun (Gimp).
The time I'm on it varies from one to about eight hours.

BrokenKingpin
August 12th, 2011, 04:59 PM

++

I am a professional programmer, but I also use my computers for many other things.

cgroza
August 12th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Programming is my hobby.
I spend 5 to 8 hours a day in front of my computer ( I am 16, summer break.)

jmszr
August 12th, 2011, 07:18 PM
mmsmc,

I spend 8-10 hours on my computer daily. Mostly research/information.

Aquix
August 12th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Music? Graphics? Video? Games? Does that go under information? If so then that.

Weekdays: 4-5
Weekend 8-20

BrokenKingpin
August 12th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Weekdays: 4-5
Weekend 8-20
Up to 20 hours a day on the computer?!? I must be reading that wrong... otherwise you seriously need a girlfriend.

lordadi
August 12th, 2011, 09:07 PM
About 12 hours

mmsmc
August 12th, 2011, 09:14 PM
well, if you do something that is not on the poll please explain, anything is welcome

thanks

Aquix
August 12th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Up to 20 hours a day on the computer?!? I must be reading that wrong... otherwise you seriously need a girlfriend.

From 8 to 20, and I have a girlfriend thats not needy and have stuff to do on her own ;)

mmsmc
August 13th, 2011, 04:16 PM
bump

forrestcupp
August 13th, 2011, 04:31 PM
sadly, i can only have people choose 1, due to the project guidelines, thank you for your response though :)

I use my computer equally for all three. So I can't really vote on this poll at all if you can only have us choose one.

Aquix
August 13th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Depends on what school your in and how important this project is to your grade. But you could take a bold move and write a report on how statistics need very carefully unbiased input to give an accurate picture of the subject you try to investigate. And how poor choices and strict rules on how to vote will make the results irrelevant.

But then again, I had to do my work all over from time to time when I was in school. :KS

mmsmc
August 14th, 2011, 04:35 AM
i do realize that there is a need to choose all three, but due to the project guidelines i cant do that, so if you would like to participate please choose the one that you do the most :)

vehemoth
August 14th, 2011, 05:06 AM
I spend about 2-3 hours per day, 6-10 on weekends.
I mostly read, maybe play a few short games.

whatthefunk
August 14th, 2011, 05:12 AM
This poll is seriously flawed. What do I do if I use my computer for work? What about fun? What if I use it for several different purposes? What about watching movies? What about games? You should instead prove, statistically of course, to your teacher that the assignment is a statistical nightmare and not capable of accurately representing reality.

sujoy
August 14th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Mostly programming. For work as well as for fun :)

Spend about 12+ hours a day with my beloved systems. On weekends though it can range anything between 3/4hrs to 18+hrs .

mmsmc
August 14th, 2011, 06:41 AM
This poll is seriously flawed. What do I do if I use my computer for work? What about fun? What if I use it for several different purposes? What about watching movies? What about games? You should instead prove, statistically of course, to your teacher that the assignment is a statistical nightmare and not capable of accurately representing reality.
i know, but thats why i explained in my other posts that if you do something else on the computer please explain, i need to keep the poll on the forums short and concise, as i am not personally with anybody to thoroughly explain each one, thank you for your post, i need 50 so any body that comes across this thread please post and explain!

thank you for your participation :D

mmsmc
August 15th, 2011, 05:54 PM
bump

mmsmc
August 16th, 2011, 08:40 PM
double bump

mmsmc
August 21st, 2011, 06:03 PM
just... a few more needed

SoFl W
August 21st, 2011, 06:09 PM
I would like to select "yes"

NovaAesa
August 21st, 2011, 11:18 PM
Mainly programming for me. About 6-8 hours per day.

meh_phistopheles
August 22nd, 2011, 08:33 PM
would you be willing to share your project guidelines and objectives at all? because i can tell you that the results you're getting are going to be completely useless unless you're trying to figure out specifically how people on the ubuntu forums categorize their computer usage between those three categories.

the things that are wrong with this poll are they're biased, first of all. you're asking about computer usage on a forum for computer users. if you want generalizable data, you should conduct a more random pole, like asking random people at some public location. also, the options are not exhaustive, as you've found out already. there should be an "other" option.

so as a graduate student in the social sciences, i feel obligated to tell you that, unless your project is specifically about ubuntu or other linux users, then you should just ignore whatever point your teacher is trying to make with this data because it's wrong and your teacher doesn't know what he or she is doing.

whatthefunk
August 23rd, 2011, 03:41 AM
Yes. And where is the entertainment option? I use my computer for that mainly. And for work...which is also not a poll choice. And as a hobby...also not a choice. I use it for studying too...not a choice.

mmsmc
August 29th, 2011, 08:01 PM
alright, this is the last day of the poll, lets see if we can just get a little more, thanks to all who participated