PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] From unity to gnome 3 = FAILURE.

RzTks
August 12th, 2011, 02:39 PM
So I've been using Ubuntu now from 10.04. And generally I don't have any problems that google and the wonderful Ubuntu forum can't solve without me making a thread. But this time its different. I liked Unity I really did, but I looked at Gnome3 and it was Magical, but I didn't want to migrate to Fedora or another Linux OS. So I decided I would upgrade to Gnome3. I added all the repositories to the package manager, started the download and there we go. I was ready to restart. Thats when it hit the fan. As I logged on I was like "Yes its working!" That was until I loaded it up, no menu bar. No top bar. Nothing except the mouse and bland Ubuntu default background. I tried every key, and I know it was there because the login screen was gnome3. Can anyone help me? I'm on my windows partition and I have no way of doing anything on my Ubuntu one. Should I reinstall, or try and fix it?

Illuminati Hater 1
August 12th, 2011, 02:50 PM
So I've been using Ubuntu now from 10.04. And generally I don't have any problems that google and the wonderful Ubuntu forum can't solve without me making a thread. But this time its different. I liked Unity I really did, but I looked at Gnome3 and it was Magical, but I didn't want to migrate to Fedora or another Linux OS. So I decided I would upgrade to Gnome3. I added all the repositories to the package manager, started the download and there we go. I was ready to restart. Thats when it hit the fan. As I logged on I was like "Yes its working!" That was until I loaded it up, no menu bar. No top bar. Nothing except the mouse and bland Ubuntu default background. I tried every key, and I know it was there because the login screen was gnome3. Can anyone help me? I'm on my windows partition and I have no way of doing anything on my Ubuntu one. Should I reinstall, or try and fix it?

Actually, you might have messed up commands in terminal....
Other reasons can be your hardware doesn't support GNOME 3 as it need a high quality processer and a graphic card..............
You only need to remove Gnome 3......

Several people have found gnome 3 a failure when installing it from non-official repositories, because official repositories donot support gnome 3 any more...........