PDA

View Full Version : HTPC Build is this possible?

mamamia88
August 11th, 2011, 10:55 PM
I want to build an htpc that reccords tv shows and automatically strips out the commercials so i don't even have to bother fastforwarding. I also want the shows to come out in a format that is playable by vlc and android so that I can play it on my netbook and android phone. Also I would love for it to have zero quality loss over the original broadcast resolution Is this possible?

drawkcab
August 11th, 2011, 11:18 PM
no.

mamamia88
August 11th, 2011, 11:20 PM
no.

damn a man can dream can't he?

Inodoro Pereyra
August 12th, 2011, 12:05 AM
You forgot to say that makes pop corn and a drink while massaging your feet...:P

LowSky
August 12th, 2011, 12:19 AM
I want to build an htpc that reccords tv shows and automatically strips out the commercials so i don't even have to bother fastforwarding. I also want the shows to come out in a format that is playable by vlc and android so that I can play it on my netbook and android phone. Also I would love for it to have zero quality loss over the original broadcast resolution Is this possible?

no.

Actually you can using mythtv, but you have to set it up.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Removing_Commercials#Automatically_removing_commer cials

only issue you netbook or cell phone might not play 1080i or 720p files.

papibe
August 12th, 2011, 12:21 AM
I want to build an htpc that reccords tv shows and automatically strips out the commercials so i don't even have to bother fastforwarding.
Yes. You can automate the process, but in 2 steps (Mythtv can do it).

I also want the shows to come out in a format that is playable by vlc and android so that I can play it on my netbook and android phone.
Each format would require a different conversion/transcoding (that would require CPU time and space).

Also I would love for it to have zero quality loss over the original broadcast resolution Is this possible?
That is not very practical. I don't think so, but if you use something like x264, won't be very noticeable.

Regards.

Paqman
August 12th, 2011, 12:22 AM
only issue you netbook or cell phone might not play 1080i or 720p files.

Easy enough to have it spit out copies in suitable resolutions though.

LowSky
August 12th, 2011, 01:45 AM
Easy enough to have it spit out copies in suitable resolutions though.

true but the OP said he didn't want quality loss of the original recording.

Paqman
August 12th, 2011, 01:49 AM
true but the OP said he didn't want quality loss of the original recording.

On a phone?! What would be the point of that? Any quality above the maximum resolution for that device is wasted.

coffee412
August 12th, 2011, 02:03 AM
In all actuality, YOu can run mythtv with maybe a suitable capture card like the hdhomerun (google it). You CAN keep the same quality as the origional capture. Just make sure your bitrate on mythtv is set correctly. Your not going to notice the difference and should be close enough to satisfy you.

I have been running mythtv for years with 2 tuner cards and capturing from DirecTV.

Mythtv can be a bit of a bear to setup along with controlling set top boxes (STBs) as I do it with a serial to usb converter.

Of course, If you are married you will have to put up with the wife using all the storage for her junk. Lifetime, Soaps, Stupid shows. :)

If your looking for a format for your iphone or whatever you can setup the transcoding of the capture to meets its specs and just transfer it over.

What I like most about Mythtv is that it WILL edit out your commercials. It will transcode to a different codec and it also has a HTML interface (mythweb) that you can use to setup recordings, Download shows, Watch via a stream.

So yes, You pretty much can do it. Just take your time and it will pay off well.

:D:D

smellyman
August 12th, 2011, 02:24 AM
torrents already do the work for you....:)

mamamia88
August 12th, 2011, 04:48 AM
torrents already do the work for you....:)

i know but i want something legal. i alrwady have a dvr but i want to copy certain shows to my phone like the daily show to watch on the train or just when i get a few minutes

northwestuntu
August 12th, 2011, 04:51 AM
You forgot to say that makes pop corn and a drink while massaging your feet...:P

:popcorn:

redscare24
August 12th, 2011, 11:18 PM
For removing commercials. I read on another forum that these guys are about to do a step by step guide for it.

www.assassinhtpcblog.com

I already subscribe to them so am patiently waiting. The only part I don't know about is formatting them to android. Can handbrake do that??