PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] SABnzbd+ Install, Setup, & Configuration Guide for Ubuntu & Linux Mint!

daemox
August 11th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Hey all,

For those that may have missed it, I have released an updated SABnzbd+ Install, Setup, & Configuration guide for SABnzbd+ on Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Below is an excerpt from the first page for any that are interested. The full, fully formatted guide can be found here (http://www.ainer.org/sabnzbd-install-setup-configuration-guide-for-ubuntu-linux-mint).

As always, let me know if you have any questions or problems along the way.

Cheers!

Introduction

Welcome! It's time once more for an update to my SABnzbd+ guide.

This update marks a major revision and as such I have decided to recreate it at a new address. As I had originally done, this guide will now be based around both Linux Mint and Ubuntu (instead of just Ubuntu). A fresh install of the most recent version of Ubuntu will be used for the basis of this guide, along with all available updates.

The main difference for Linux Mint users will be in navigating through the menus and finding the applications we will be using below. Ubuntu uses Unity whereas Linux Mint uses the mintMenu and Gnome. However, both interfaces provide the ability to search from the main menu and it should be very easy to translate the instructions from one to the other (or to another desktop environment if you prefer). If you get stuck, please feel free to contact me directly or leave a comment below and I'd be happy to help point you in the right direction.

I have broken out much of my repetitive introductory information into a Guide Guide which can be found on Ainer.org's About page. I recommend you take a moment to review that now. These guides are written in a very specific manner and this is well explained there.

Anyway, with that aside lets move on to the topic at hand! SABnzbd+ is, simply put, a Usenet client. It allows access to Usenet in the same way as a Web Browser allows access to the World Wide Web, or as an Email client (be it Web based, or installed directly onto your computer) allows access to your Email servers.

Usenet is an old, old network that actually pre-dates the Web and allows for exchanging information over the Internet. Usenet however, uses a much less centralized method compared to the Web as most of the content on Usenet is distributive across many, many different servers whereas any one website will likely only be hosted by a single server (or a single cluster of servers). Any content that's hosted on Usenet will propogate across all the servers that choose to provide access to it and can be accessed via the server of your choice (I suggest Supernews or Giganews).

SABnzbd+ itself is focused on accessing binary content on Usenet (versus non-binary content such as text based messages) courtesy of NZB files. SABnzbd+ is a highly robust and mature program and works wonderfully as the basis for an automated setup featuring Sick Beard, Couch Potato, Headphones, and XBMC Media Center.

If you're wondering how to read "SABnzbd+" as you're going along, "SAB-nzb-daemon-plus" is probably pretty close to accurate. I personally use "SAB" as it's a bit easier to spit out repeatedly.

And with that, be sure to hit up the Guide Guide if you haven't already, and lets get ready to install SABnzbd+ (next page (http://www.ainer.org/sabnzbd-install-setup-configuration-guide-for-ubuntu-linux-mint/2))!