PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Does decreasing the number of desktops (workspaces) matter?

HunterDX77M
August 11th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I only use one workspace anyway, so I was wondering if there was any benefit to removing the other three? By that, I mean performance-wise benefits.

mcduck
August 11th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I only use one workspace anyway, so I was wondering if there was any benefit to removing the other three? By that, I mean performance-wise benefits.

There is a really, really small benefit in memory usage from using less workspaces. But you'd have to be on a extremely low end machine to notice anything. On any machine that's actually capable of running Ubuntu the difference would be pretty much just theoretical.

Frogs Hair
August 11th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I don't think the workspace switcher is resource hungry by its self , it is the combination applications and workspaces running that are . Running multiple workspaces would require more resources , but I doubt the removal of the switcher would improve performance.

If you are using Classic Gnome , right click it and remove from the panel . I have not looked into removing it in Unity .