PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu installer won't detect Windows 7

Monkihunta
August 11th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Okay, I'm a noob...

I'm trying to install Ubuntu 11.04 alongside Windows 7, but when I boot from the CD, Ubuntu refuses to detect the presence of Windows 7. I tried unplugging all my external hard drives to see if that made a difference, but Ubuntu still can't tell that I have Windows 7 on there. Can anyone help me out?

sanderd17
August 11th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Can you open the app called "Gparted" (on the Ubuntu live CD, in try mode) and show us a screenshot of it? Maybe you don't have enough space left or some other weird thing.

If you believe you have enough space, then it might be helpful for us to show us the output of this script: http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/ (follow the instructions on the webpage)

And unplugging all external hard drives before you boot to Ubuntu is certainly advisable.

Quackers
August 11th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Have you run
sudo update-grub in the terminal in Ubuntu? Does it show the Windows Loader?

Mark Phelps
August 11th, 2011, 06:15 PM
If you don't wish to go through the trouble of running the script and posting the output, at least open a terminal (in Ubuntu) and enter "sudo fdisk -lu (that's a lowercase L, not a one). That will list out the partitions on the drive. Post the results of that back here.

Rubi1200
August 11th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums Monkihunta :-)

Two more questions to add:
1. are your disks labeled as Dynamic in the Windows Disk Management tool?
2. is/was the drive part of a RAID array?

Thanks.