PDA

View Full Version : so, I just opened the software center...

ninjaaron
August 11th, 2011, 11:44 AM
... and beside the entry that says "provided by Ubuntu," there is a Fedora logo.

Anyone else seeing this? any thoughts?

edit:
Maybe this has to do with the update to faenza-icon-theme that I got today through the equinox PPA...

imortalninja161
August 11th, 2011, 11:46 AM
na i dont see it :/ btw POWER TO THE NINJAS !! lol

ninjaaron
August 11th, 2011, 12:02 PM
POWER TO THE NINJAS !!

I dig. :cool:

zekopeko
August 11th, 2011, 12:03 PM
... and beside the entry that says "provided by Ubuntu," there is a Fedora logo.

Anyone else seeing this? any thoughts?

What icon theme are you using? That particular Ubuntu logo was probably replaced in what ever icon theme you are using with the Fedora one.

ninjaaron
August 11th, 2011, 12:05 PM
What icon theme are you using? That particular Ubuntu logo was probably replaced in what ever icon theme you are using with the Fedora one.

Faenza. I added that to the OP at about the same time you were posting this.

Dry Lips
August 11th, 2011, 02:08 PM
LOL! I've got it as well!

zekopeko
August 11th, 2011, 02:13 PM
LOL! I've got it as well!

Somebody be trollin'!

Dry Lips
August 11th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Somebody be trollin'!

Wot? The Faenza team you mean?

ninjaaron
August 11th, 2011, 03:13 PM
werd.

danyc05
August 11th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I got it too... i just noticed it but I also just updated the package so maybe it was a mistake or something lol

Bandit
August 11th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Looks like the Faenza Theme creater(s) have moved from Ubuntu to Fedora.. lol

el_koraco
August 11th, 2011, 03:39 PM
maybe it's the mighty Upstream teaching Canonical a lesson for straying of The Path?

NightwishFan
August 11th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Works fine here.

DangerOnTheRanger
August 11th, 2011, 04:03 PM
I don't see the Fedora logo inside the USC on Lucid.

na i dont see it :/ btw POWER TO THE NINJAS !! lol

I dig. :cool:

< Ditto.

Dry Lips
August 11th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I don't see the Fedora logo inside the USC on Lucid.
< Ditto.

Do you have the faenza icons installed, and have you added the PPA?
I also noticed that the icons were updated yesterday through the Update
manager.

ninjaaron
August 11th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Works fine here.Ack! except for the horrible typography that comes standard on all the communist distros! My eyes are bleeding!!

maybe it's the mighty Upstream teaching Canonical a lesson for straying of The Path?

Straying from the path of boring into the path of awesome?

NightwishFan
August 11th, 2011, 04:39 PM
[QUOTE=ninjaaron;11141365]Ack! except for the horrible typography that comes standard on all the communist distros! My eyes are bleeding!!

What the bloody hell are you talking about?

ninjaaron
August 11th, 2011, 05:04 PM
What the bloody hell are you talking about?

The standard font rendering engine on Linux is FreeType2. It's not the best. Ubuntu uses their own modified version of this engine which is better. There is also another open source derivative called infinality-freetype2, which is better than Ubuntu's rendering for some things (depends on the font). However, it contains some proprietary code (along with GLP code), so the more ideological distros don't have it in their repos, though you can always get it, of course. Ubuntu's is all GLP, as far as I know, but nobody else uses it. In addition, Fedora and Debian don't have hinting, sub-pixel smoothing, or antialiasing working by default (... they might have anti-aliasing... I don't recall...)

I'm sort of a freak for typography (and detail in general), so I'm hyper-sensitive to this stuff. I spent a couple days trying to get the fonts to look right in Fedora. When I saw the default fonts in Debian, I just lol'ed and wiped the partition.

ninjaaron
August 11th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Just got this email from the developer:

Thanks, its a mistake since I am using Fedora now to test Gnome Shell. Ubuntu Logo will be back in the next hours.
-Matthew James

Dry Lips
August 11th, 2011, 05:14 PM
@ninjaaron: I'm glad it'll be sorted out. Nice one!

Spice Weasel
August 11th, 2011, 05:17 PM
In addition, Fedora and Debian don't have hinting, sub-pixel smoothing, or antialiasing working by default (... they might have anti-aliasing... I don't recall...)

They do.

http://i.imgur.com/KvDSS.png

NightwishFan
August 11th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Mine certainly has it. The font cantarell is supposed to look like this. Also Debian is democracy thank you very much.

el_koraco
August 11th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I'm sort of a freak for typography (and detail in general), so I'm hyper-sensitive to this stuff. I spent a couple days trying to get the fonts to look right in Fedora. When I saw the default fonts in Debian, I just lol'ed and wiped the partition.

Actually, Squeeze has the same libfreetype as Ubuntu, what they don't have is the patched libcairo package. The freetype patent is expired, so Debian is including it, you just need to correct the settings via dpkg and .fonts.conf. The problem is mostly in vague documentation, and the fact that the libcairo devs don't like the patched version themselves. Plus, I've seen quite a lot of font-freaks on Debian preferring the original version.

The infinality .fonts.conf is somewhat different than Ubuntu's, so you need to do some manual tweaking, although I'm not that familiar with infinality, having used Fedora for a relatively short time.

ninjaaron
August 11th, 2011, 05:57 PM
They do.

http://i.imgur.com/KvDSS.png

looks like it.

ninjaaron
August 11th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Also Debian is democracy thank you very much.
Yeah yeah. I know (more or less) about Debian's organisational model and I have a lot of respect for it. On the other hand, I have no ideological opposition to private property, even intellectual property, especially if the rights-holder is giving it away for free with a few choice rights reserved. I'm a "whatever works" kind of guy, and I've always thought the more extreme Stallman types were more than a little nuts. I'm more of a disciple of Linus where that kind of thing is concerned.

Actually, Squeeze has the same libfreetype as Ubuntu, what they don't have is the patched libcairo package. The freetype patent is expired, so Debian is including it, you just need to correct the settings via dpkg and .fonts.conf. The problem is mostly in vague documentation, and the fact that the libcairo devs don't like the patched version themselves. Plus, I've seen quite a lot of font-freaks on Debian preferring the original version.

I know it has freetype, but it doesn't have the patched versions that many people prefer. I realize that some people like the older versions, though I cannot for the life of me figure out why.

Anyway, it was kinda a joke. Of course, I do hate the font, but if NightwishFan thinks it looks good, he's perfectly entitled to his opinion.

P.S. I think I know how you can get faenza systray and action buttons without the rest of the theme. I posted it in the screenshots thread.

NightwishFan
August 11th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I know it was a joke I was just giving you a hard time. And I don't 'think' it's good I know it is. :)

el_koraco
August 11th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I know it has freetype, but it doesn't have the patched versions that many people prefer. I realize that some people like the older versions, though I cannot for the life of me figure out why.

libfreetype is patched as well, it's libcairo that isn't. I know this, because I've spent like five hours trying to fix libcairo on #!, only to find out that it took the other packages from Debian, and libcairo from Ubuntu :lolflag:

Gonna goo check out your advice.