PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Grub error: file not found

dosh
August 11th, 2011, 07:49 AM
I've had my Ubuntu crash and had to reload it. I;ve reloaded 9.1 and am now getting the error

GRUB loading.
error: file not found
grub rescue>

I have tried a number of solution attempts I've found on the internet with no success.

I have Windows 7 also loaded however I'm not getting a Grub menu only the error above. I seem to have a number of Linux partitions I believe my correct one is on sda7. I had at one stage tried to have a boot partition on sda4. But I think this is where it has caused the problem. Any help much appreciated.

MG&TL
August 11th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Probably means Ubuntu's got itself corrupted or deleted somewhere along the line, and grub can't find it. Try and reinstall Ubuntu over the previous one, I think that should work.

If you want a file recovery tool (before doing that), I can suggest Puppy Linux, an OS in its own that runs on RAM from a memory stick or live cd.

garvinrick4
August 11th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Just a guessing game unless we see a boot script as per below: Will tell us why you cannot boot.

#Download this Script to DESKTOP:
http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/
Open a Terminal and use these four commands one at a time. copy and paste will work fine.

cd Desktop
unzip boot_info_script060.zip
chmod +x boot_info_script.sh
sudo ./boot_info_script.sh
There will now be a file called RESULTS on Desktop copy and paste to this Thread:
Use code tags and will be easier to read: (Highlight all text after pasting and click on # sign in upper right of message box)

#What you have done below:

You are changing directory's to Desktop
You are unzipping
You are making executable
You are executing the Script
Done Results on Desktop

dosh
August 11th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks...have solved it, Installed Ubuntu 11.04. Solved the problem