PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installing ubuntu to temporarily external drive

bollschweiler
August 10th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I don't have access to a CDROM drive or a USB flash drive. I have access to three IDE hard-drives (let's call them S="source", T="target", and E="extra"), and a single USB enclosure.

On S there are two partitions; on the first partition, Windows 7 is installed, and on the second, Windows 2000 is installed. Wubi was executed within Windows 2000 and Ubuntu installed on that same partition.
On booting, the Windows 7 boot selector is shown; it now includes Ubuntu as an option, but selecting this option fails. However, upon selecting Windows 2000 from the Windows 7 boot menu, a Windows 2000 boot menu appears; Ubuntu is an option here and booting is successful.

From Ubuntu, I ran LVPM in order to copy this installation onto drive T, which had been loaded into the USB enclosure. This procedure completed successfully. However, when I removed T from the USB enclosure and placed it in the primary internal IDE hard-drive slot, a grub boot menu appeared. The options on the grub menu were "UnknownOS" and "Windows 7 (loader)". Selecting either of these resulted in failure.

Consequently, I would like to try a different approach. I would like to install Ubuntu to T from within the Wubi Ubuntu on S. Alternatively, perhaps it would be possible to alter the boot sequence on T in order for it to boot directly into Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance!
nate

lmarmisa
August 11th, 2011, 01:38 AM
Welcome to the forums!!!. :D

If you want to install Ubuntu to T from the Wubi Ubuntu on S, you could install the package ubiquity-frontend-gtk:

sudo apt-get install ubiquity-frontend-gtk

Finally select System -> Administration -> Install RELEASE. If you wish to install the GRUB loader in the MBR of the hard drive T, consider to define manually the partitions of the installation.

Best regards,

Luis

bollschweiler
August 11th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Thanks for your quick response Luis! Unfortunately I wasn't able to test it out the method you outlined.

For folks in this position in future, I'll briefly outline the steps employed.

Running from the Wubi-made Ubuntu install on S, I placed E within the enclosure, attached it via USB, and transformed it into a startup disk using Startup Disk Creator (System->Administration->Startup Disk Creator): first I erased E by, after choosing the appropriate drive from the lower list, selecting "Erase Disk"; next, I set up E to be a startup disk by, after choosing the correct disk image (pressing the button "Other..." and browsing to and selecting the .iso file), selecting "Make Startup Disk".

Next I shut down the computer and replaced S with T, keeping E attached via USB in the external enclosure. Rebooting, I altered the boot order to boot from E rather than T (it was still booting grub). At this point I booted from E and was able to install Ubuntu without any difficulty.

Hope someone out there somewhen finds this useful.
nate