PDA

View Full Version : Kde 5.0

mips
August 10th, 2011, 04:26 PM
http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2011/08/important-announcement-coming-today-at.html

Sunday, August 07, 2011
Important Announcement Coming Today at Desktop Summit
Today at 17:30 there is a panel presentation here at Berlin Desktop Summit that is unfortunately titled "KDE Platform 4 Roadmap" and the schedule says I'm presenting it. This was submitted prior to the Platform 11 meeting in Randa so it could make the speaking schedule here at the Desktop Summit. At the time I didn't know what precisely we'd decide on at Platform 11 .. and the title reflects that.

What I did know was that we would want to communicate the results (whatever they would be) from Platform 11. That is in fact what we will be doing. Better yet, I will be joined by David Faure, Kevin Ottens and Stephen Kelly in doing so.

Interestingly, however, the presentation will not be about KDE Platform 4. It will be about KDE Frameworks 5.0.

More... (http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2011/08/important-announcement-coming-today-at.html)

BigSilly
August 10th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Oh noes!!

Look how long it's taken one of us to reply to this? Are we all just pretending that it's not happening? :D

Bandit
August 10th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Oh noes!!

Look how long it's taken one of us to reply to this? Are we all just pretending that it's not happening? :D

LOL,, about as much as KDE devs are pretending to have worked out all the bugs and performance issues in KDE 4.x

This is the one problem I have with KDE, as soon as they get just about all the issues worked out with it to make it stable enough to enjoy and use day to day, they jump to the next release leaving everyone with 2 more years of KHell.

Kant they just Keep the same release going for a few more years. 4.x is great looking, but still could use some fine tuning. Plus let everyone enjoy the dang desktop before more changes are made.

el_koraco
August 10th, 2011, 07:30 PM
LOL,, about as much as KDE devs are pretending to have worked out all the bugs and performance issues in KDE 4.x

a) it's much more stable and less buggy than Gnome 2 or Unity or Gnome 3.
b) they're specifically promising to do the changes under the hood, and not to rewrite the user interface
c) QT5 is supposed to greatly improve mobility of KDE
d) Kwin (the best compositing WM in *NIX, period) is gonna be a full fledged Wayland compositor in KDE 5, I shudder to think how Compiz will handle the transition
e) you didn't really read the article, did you?

Bandit
August 10th, 2011, 07:58 PM
a) it's much more stable and less buggy than Gnome 2 or Unity or Gnome 3.
b) they're specifically promising to do the changes under the hood, and not to rewrite the user interface
c) QT5 is supposed to greatly improve mobility of KDE
d) Kwin (the best compositing WM in *NIX, period) is gonna be a full fledged Wayland compositor in KDE 5, I shudder to think how Compiz will handle the transition
e) you didn't really read the article, did you?

a) Thats your opinion.
b) changes under the hood also means, new bugs being introduced.
c) Yes it is..
d) Thats your opinion.
e) No, but then again nothing I said contradicted the artical anyway.

and F) You act like I am bashing KDE. I freaking love KDE, its awesome. But I dont like finally getting my boat sailing just to jump off the bow and start over again. Yes its not a complete re-write. But there is nothing wrong with 4 other then a few minor bugs. I just want to see those addressed and everyone relax and enjoy it.

MG&TL
August 10th, 2011, 08:02 PM
I'm not a KDE hater-BUT is this going to be even heavier than the last one, or are they doing a Windows and scaling it down for this one?

el_koraco
August 10th, 2011, 08:10 PM
b) changes under the hood also means, new bugs being introduced.

It's Linux, people break things, then they improve upon them. KDE is kinda known to be on the forefront of design. Plus, they're promising to pump up on KDE 4 development, so as not to repeat the last debacle.

e) No, but then again nothing I said contradicted the artical anyway.

and F) You act like I am bashing KDE. I freaking love KDE, its awesome. But I dont like finally getting my boat sailing just to jump off the bow and start over again. Yes its not a complete re-write. But there is nothing wrong with 4 other then a few minor bugs. I just want to see those addressed and everyone relax and enjoy it.

Read the article, and you'll be put to ease. 4.x is moving to raster graphics, which boots performance immensely. QT5 is gonna make KDE ultraportable - imagine having the same set of "frameworks" (lawl) on every device you own. also, the rewrite will probably focus mostly on the slowest elements like Akonadi, Nepomunk/Stringi.

There are benchmarks for Kwin performance, and when you break plasma, it spawns in three seconds. When you break Gnome Shell or Unity, you either get that ridiculous prompt with a sad smiley saying f* you, I'm not even gonna try to tell you what's wrong, or your desktop disappears.

MG&TL
August 10th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Sorry, the article was in KDE language, and I'm not fluent, as nothing I have is capble of KDE currently. I was just interested, so if it's a real performance boost, you may have a new KDE user.

Zlatan
August 10th, 2011, 08:21 PM
It's Linux, people break things, then they improve upon them. KDE is kinda known to be on the forefront of design. Plus, they're promising to pump up on KDE 4 development, so as not to repeat the last debacle.

[...]
There are benchmarks for Kwin performance, and when you break plasma, it spawns in three seconds. When you break Gnome Shell or Unity, you either get that ridiculous prompt with a sad smiley saying f* you, I'm not even gonna try to tell you what's wrong, or your desktop disappears.

oh YES, a clear +1 here:)

Linuxratty
August 10th, 2011, 08:24 PM

This is the one problem I have with KDE, as soon as they get just about all the issues worked out with it to make it stable enough to enjoy and use day to day, they jump to the next release leaving everyone with 2 more years of KHell.

:D Well put.That's why I am not an early adopter.

forrestcupp
August 10th, 2011, 08:31 PM
If all they're doing is under the hood stuff for improving on the stability and performance of 4.x, then why don't they just continue the 4.x line? If it's true that it's not a complete rewrite of KDE, then they need to separate Qt from KDE so they don't have to give KDE a new version number just because Qt is a major upgrade.

kaldor
August 10th, 2011, 09:02 PM
I can't wait for 5.0. I tried many times to love KDE 4, and even ran it as my only DE on openSUSE for 4 months. I always found it way too buggy (last version I used was 4.4.x) and that I had to dig WAY too much to get to stuff I wanted. It feels like everything is buried away in a jungle of menus and dropdowns. It's the same sort of thing that makes me hate the Windows UI.

If they can trim the fat and make it work with less resources, fix stability bugs, AND make the UI less overwhelming, I'd love to give it another go. GNOME panel + Shell have me spoiled when it comes to simplicity.

mehaga
August 10th, 2011, 11:28 PM
If all they're doing is under the hood stuff for improving on the stability and performance of 4.x, then why don't they just continue the 4.x line? If it's true that it's not a complete rewrite of KDE, then they need to separate Qt from KDE so they don't have to give KDE a new version number just because Qt is a major upgrade.

If I understood correctly, Qt 5 won't be backward compatible with Qt 4, hence the new major version...

TheNessus
August 10th, 2011, 11:49 PM
why work on fixing strigi and akonadi?

Just remove them entirely. redundant useless pieces of broken software... they are exactly why I use mostly Gnome.

That, and notification area icons inconstancy in color and shape and size, regardless of any themes.

ilovelinux33467
August 10th, 2011, 11:51 PM
I'm definitely looking forward to KDE Frameworks 5.0.

Bandit
August 11th, 2011, 12:08 AM

To be honest comparing the stability of KDE 4.7 to Unity or Gnome Shell is absurd. IMHO Unity and GNOME shell are both in their baby stages with lots to come and lots to fix. Which is why I am running Gnome 2, because I wouldnt use them either right now :-). Now if you wish to compare it to Gnome 2 then that would be more fare.

I am still waiting for them to return Amarok to its 3.x glory. Currently its still half of the program it used to be.

el_koraco
August 11th, 2011, 12:26 AM
To be honest comparing the stability of KDE 4.7 to Unity or Gnome Shell is absurd. IMHO Unity and GNOME shell are both in their baby stages with lots to come and lots to fix.

Why? Gnome was started a year after KDE, and Unity is just a shell for Gnome, using a different window manager. The fact that KDE has been the leading desktop project in the open source world is pretty much undisputable. Gnome 3 has been in development for almost as long as KDE 4, and while I agree it's very cool, Gnome as a whole has only been able to catch up because of Red Hat standing behind it.

kvv_1986
August 11th, 2011, 12:27 AM
To be honest comparing the stability of KDE 4.7 to Unity or Gnome Shell is absurd. ... Now if you wish to compare it to Gnome 2 then that would be more fare.

KDE 4 is fine. Amarok is at least as good as Banshee and Rhythmbox anyway. :P

From personal experience, stabilitywise compizless gnome > kde+kwin > compiz+gnome.
Moreover, I feel that KDE is a more "complete OS" than gnome whatever that means.

Bandit
August 11th, 2011, 03:50 AM
Why? Gnome was started a year after KDE, and Unity is just a shell for Gnome, using a different window manager. The fact that KDE has been the leading desktop project in the open source world is pretty much undisputable. Gnome 3 has been in development for almost as long as KDE 4, and while I agree it's very cool, Gnome as a whole has only been able to catch up because of Red Hat standing behind it.

One thing no one can dispute is that the KDE devs are the most efficient team of developers in the open source community. When they start a project, they hit it fast and hard. Other projects like GNOME move s l o w l y . . .
And yes they would be even slower if RedHat wasnt pushing them to get this mess straightened out.

It will take Gnome Devs with G3 2 years to accomplish what the KDE devs will do in 1. Also Unity even though financially support by Canonical doesnt have the developers to push Unity as fast either. Unity Devs are doing a great job mind you, but your gonna have to give them more time. Unity right now lacks A LOT and is buggy. But I expect they will having it looking good for the LTS.

On another note, I see so many folks against QT. QT is awesome. Its one of the best IDEs that is available for open source. I would have loved to see G3 and Unity made from it, but then again I would have loved to see KDE been picked over Unity or G3 as Ubuntus main DE since the death of G2. A little UI tweaking and it would have been golden.

FlameReaper
August 11th, 2011, 07:57 AM
On another note, I see so many folks against QT. QT is awesome. Its one of the best IDEs that is available for open source. I would have loved to see G3 and Unity made from it, but then again I would have loved to see KDE been picked over Unity or G3 as Ubuntus main DE since the death of G2. A little UI tweaking and it would have been golden.

Unity 2D is made from QT and serves as a fallback to Unity, guess what that means.

... I'm tempted to run a custom startup environment that runs KWin+Unity 2D. Because why not? The idea looks good :P

I'd like to see how the move to make KDE usable for portable devices will change the usual thinking that "KDE is one big clutter of bloat" or something like that. I'm all to seeing KDE being made much, much lighter than what most see of it right now :D

Metallion
August 11th, 2011, 08:31 AM
I am still waiting for them to return Amarok to its 3.x glory. Currently its still half of the program it used to be.

You might want to check out Clementine.

el_koraco
August 11th, 2011, 10:02 AM
One thing no one can dispute is that the KDE devs are the most efficient team of developers in the open source community. When they start a project, they hit it fast and hard. Other projects like GNOME move s l o w l y . . .

The result - KDE is the desktop environment with the greatest ratio of speed, resource usage and features (and I'm not just talking about 'customization'). Pretty much the only thing that needs work is the indexing and PIM services. That's what I guess KDE 5 will put a lot of focus on.

forrestcupp
August 11th, 2011, 02:10 PM
If I understood correctly, Qt 5 won't be backward compatible with Qt 4, hence the new major version...

If that's the case then it couldn't be true that KDE 5 is not a complete rewrite.

Dry Lips
August 11th, 2011, 02:12 PM
I made a post about this in the KDE 4.7 thread.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11132547&postcount=134

I'm reposting it here:

KDE Frameworks 5.0 In Development
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/08...In-Development (http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/08/07/2128222/KDE-Frameworks-50-In-Development)

The Plans For KDE Frameworks 5.0 Were Just Announced
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=OTc2Mg (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTc2Mg)

KDE 5.0 roadmap announced
http://www.itworld.com/mobile-wirele...dmap-announced (http://www.itworld.com/mobile-wireless/191083/kde-50-roadmap-announced)

KDE Plans To Support Wayland In 2012
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/08...ayland-In-2012 (http://tech.slashdot.org/story/11/08/07/1325209/KDE-Plans-To-Support-Wayland-In-2012)