PDA

View Full Version : Compiz on Gnome-Shell?

danyc05
August 10th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Will compiz effects work on gnome-shell? For example:cube, wobbly windows, etc.

kaldor
August 10th, 2011, 03:50 AM
Compiz is not compatible with GNOME Shell as of yet.

danyc05
August 10th, 2011, 03:52 AM
alright thanks

Inodoro Pereyra
August 10th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Compiz is not compatible with GNOME Shell as of yet.

What do you mean? I have always used Gnome (it's what comes standard with Ubuntu, right?:confused:) and have used Compiz and all the animations without a problem...

cariboo
August 10th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Gnome-shell uses mutter as a windows manager, compiz is a compositing windows manager. You can't use two windows managers at once.

kaldor
August 10th, 2011, 06:12 AM
What do you mean? I have always used Gnome (it's what comes standard with Ubuntu, right?:confused:) and have used Compiz and all the animations without a problem...

GNOME Shell is the new Desktop Environment featured in GNOME 3. Ubuntu is using GNOME 2.32 with Unity.

TheNosh
August 10th, 2011, 06:21 AM

Gnome 3 has some major changes to the interface. The new shell interface does not work with Compiz.

NightwishFan
August 10th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Can the fallback mode work with Compiz?

3Miro
August 10th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Gnome 3 does work with Compiz. Unity is Compiz and 11.10 does come with Gnome 3 + Unity.

Gnome-shell is the default Gnome 3 Windows Manager and User Interface. Compiz does not work with Gnome-shell, that is, if you want Gnome-shell UI then you cannot get compiz effects.

u-noob-tu
August 10th, 2011, 03:59 PM
What about a compiz-like window manager for GNOME-Shell? I mean, a window manager for GNOME-Shell that has compiz-like functionality. Is there one in development?

Inodoro Pereyra
August 10th, 2011, 04:15 PM
GNOME Shell is the new Desktop Environment featured in GNOME 3. Ubuntu is using GNOME 2.32 with Unity.

Gnome 3 has some major changes to the interface. The new shell interface does not work with Compiz.

Didn't know that.:oops: Thank you.

3Miro
August 10th, 2011, 04:39 PM
What about a compiz-like window manager for GNOME-Shell? I mean, a window manager for GNOME-Shell that has compiz-like functionality. Is there one in development?

Gnome-shell is the windows manager. If you want fancy effects with Gnome-shell, they will have to be implemented as part of Gnome-shell. I think they will eventually add more effects, but I don't think they are working on this right now.

NightwishFan
August 10th, 2011, 05:30 PM

The gnome shell acts a plugin for Gnome 3's window manager (which is named Mutter). So if you replace mutter you also lose the gnome shell. Mutter itself already supports compositing and animations so I am sure it could be extended to do more effects if desired. Perhaps the extension system to the shell could amount to this as well. So far I am quite sure it does not and is probably not planned.

I was wondering if anyone has a system with Gnome 3 installed (i do not at the moment) if you can replace with compiz while running in fallback mode. Logically I would think you could.