PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual monitor ideas please....is your cooler than mine, if so, how :D

thegoonden
August 9th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Currently I have my monitors (LG television in middle of room, 1920x1080 and Dell monitor by sofa 1280x1024) set as twinview in the nvidia-settings applet.
It's very nice, I can drag a youtube window off chromium on the Dell monitor to the TV, or run mplayer from a term on the Dell, and using the geometry options, make it appear on the telly).

BUT having the screens set like this disables compiz, which disables Unity (3d) and all of KDE's 3d features as well.

Are there any other ways I can set them up so I have most of my current functionality and still be able to use Unity (or KDE's 3d effects).

I would accept 2 separate X servers, but only one can be active at a time, which puts an end to posting on the ubuntu forums using the Dell monitor while a video plays on the TV.
I can live without dragging between screens.

When I had a monitor and an analogue TV many moons ago, I recall having the desktop entirely on the monitor (:0.0) and being able to launch stuff to the TV with DISPLAY=:0.1
I could PROBABLY cope with that sort of thing again, except that it would be nice to (as now) still be able to sit down in front of the TV for games and stuff (current;y the "natural" KDE desktop is actually on the TV, and I have built a secondary one on the Dell with plasma widgets).

C'mon 'Buntu-Boys and GNU-Gals....someone is bound to have a cool dual monitor setup.

I am asking because I am shortly to have a houseguest and would like them to see Ubuntu in all it's 3d glory while plonked in the seat in front of the telly.
At the moment the only solution I have is a 2nd installation with a single screen setup and a reboot into that (or an xconfig swapout and a reboot into my existing installation).

Cheers folks.