PDA

View Full Version : Why is ubuntu tweak not installed by default?

josephellengar
August 9th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Yeah, what the title says. Ubuntu tweak should really be installed by default. It is far superior to computer janitor and most of those packages that Canonical uses for similar functionality.

idoitprone
August 9th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Yeah, what the title says. Ubuntu tweak should really be installed by default. It is far superior to computer janitor and most of those packages that Canonical uses for similar functionality.

ubuntu tweak is not officially supported by canonical i believe. I know it sometimes breaks the systems by removing necessary files sometimes

Bart92
August 9th, 2011, 03:57 PM
ubuntu tweak is not officially supported by canonical i believe. I know it sometimes breaks the systems by removing necessary files sometimes

Jep

josephellengar
August 9th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Jep

Oh, I guess I'll stop using it then.

Duncan Williams
August 9th, 2011, 04:01 PM
more likely to break other distros using ubuntu 11.04 as base.
Should be fine in straight natty install.

nomko
August 9th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Ubuntu Tweaks is not a tool for starters or so called newbies due to the fact that many settings can be changed which is very harmful to a smooth running system. If the user doesn't have the proper knowlegde the user can damage his Ubuntu setup. Another reason for not using Ubuntu Tweak is the fact that it allows the user to add PPA's which cannot be checked by the right management system of Linux (Ubuntu). Therefore it is possible to add PPA's which can contain harmfull software or allows the user to install software which can corrupt Ubuntu.

My advise: if it is not needed, don't install it. Most of the options Ubuntu tweak offers can also be found in Gconf-editor or by tools which can be found in the correct (Ubuntu) rtepository.

And i totally agree with idoitprone, Ubuntu Tweak is prone to mess up a whole system.

Duncan Williams
August 11th, 2011, 11:34 AM
personally I wouldn't use it.
bleachbit your sys once a week instead...

nomko
August 11th, 2011, 11:47 AM
bleachbit your sys once a week instead...

Bleachbit is a tool which can make your system corrupt by removing more files than needed. I have bad experiences with bleachbit.

If you want to clean your system (and what can there be cleaned under Linux compared to Windows???), use these commands:

sudo apt-get autoclean

sudo apt-get autoremove

And another tool which can be trusted is deborphan (with the GUI interface tool). Deborphan removes unneeded files such as library files. Never had any bad experiences with using deborphan.

Duncan Williams
August 12th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Well each to there own.
I have personally been using bleachbit in normal and administrative mode. probably 3-4 times a week for the last 6 months.
It does a lot more than delete a few files and I am yet to have a problem.
It definitely assists in privacy matters as in removing most details from your general and online use.
Also frees up usually between 50mb and 1.5gig.

I was a bit worried at first but tend to trust it now.

But I would not like someone to use it and break their installation.
So `use with care' and `be aware'

Segofam
August 12th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Ubuntu Tweaks is not a tool for starters or so called newbies due to the fact that many settings can be changed which is very harmful to a smooth running system...Ubuntu Tweak is prone to mess up a whole system.

I use it to get rid of those annoying extra choices you get when you go to pick which OS you want to boot into. It is very good for that, but if you mess with it too much, it will wreak havoc on your system..I know :-/

If you want to clean your system (and what can there be cleaned under Linux compared to Windows???), use these commands:

sudo apt-get autoclean

sudo apt-get autoremove

And another tool which can be trusted is deborphan (with the GUI interface tool). Deborphan removes unneeded files such as library files. Never had any bad experiences with using deborphan.

Do you have any commands for deleting unused boot choices in Grub?

Scott.

westie457
August 12th, 2011, 10:41 AM

Scott.

Hello, by unused boot choices do you mean the older kernels (something like 2.6.22-35)?

Do not know the command to use however it can be done with Synaptic.
All you do is search for 'linux-headers' and mark the ones you do not want for complete removal and click apply. As they are removed Grub is automatically updated to reflect the changes.

Having said all that it is a good idea to have one earlier kernel in the list as a fall-back boot option in case an update causes problems.

nomko
August 12th, 2011, 09:19 PM

Scott.

If you want to use Ubuntu tweak for it, be my guest! But don't start complaining when Ubuntu tweak messed up your system just by installing it!

nomko
August 12th, 2011, 09:21 PM

It think it is this command:

sudo update-grub

Elfy
August 12th, 2011, 09:27 PM
It think it is this command:

sudo update-grub

This would just update grub with the existing kernels - you need to remove them, removing them will also cause update-grub to run.

As to the original post - why should ubuntu tweak be installed by default ... I've never used it, nor needed to.

Much the same as myriad other apps that aren't installed by default :)

josephellengar
August 12th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Hello, by unused boot choices do you mean the older kernels (something like 2.6.22-35)?

All you do is search for 'linux-headers' and mark the ones you do not want for complete removal and click apply. As they are removed Grub is automatically updated to reflect the changes.

Having said all that it is a good idea to have one earlier kernel in the list as a fall-back boot option in case an update causes problems.

If you do mean older kernels, I wouldn't remove them. I always keep a few old kernels on my system because I actually have had to use them on occasion when my system refused to boot for whatever reason.

Elfy
August 12th, 2011, 10:16 PM
You can set grub2 to only show a specific number of kernels - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1287602

Look for the limiting entries

or look into grub customiser.

Though with the latest grub the older kernels are all in a sub-menu and only visible if you go into that menu.

Nylo
September 23rd, 2011, 04:41 AM
I have been using Ubuntu Tweak since it came out and had never had an issue. In fact this is the first time I have heard of this. I’m currently managing three computers using Linux and not one issue.

uRock
September 23rd, 2011, 04:44 AM
I wouldn't want it installed by default. This sounds more like a topic for http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/