PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Multiple Unity "panels" for dual monitor desktop.

thegoonden
August 9th, 2011, 08:32 AM
EDIT: It seems there are bigger fish to fry as only Unity 2D is compatible with my screen configuration.....a rethink is required.
Still an answer to the query below may still come in handy if anyone knows one :D

-------------------------------------------------

First some background....
I am currently using KDE with my desktop stretched across two screen, my main TV and a smaller Dell monitor that sits beside my sofa.....I LOVE the way it works as it is (apart from Natty's broken vsync! but I am sure that will get fixed in a while).

I can have a separate wallpaper on each screen but can drag a windows between them or use the geometry options to launch stuff specifically to the main screen, which is just peachy.
I added plasma objects on the small monitor to give me a Kmenu and a taskbar, so although it's one desktop, it's almost like two.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE......
Now the display settings are from the nividia settings wizard, rather than KDE, so I know I can do the stretched screen thing in any environment.
But if I were to use Unity (which I use on my netbook and am rather smitten by (and of course without all the clever compiz stuff there is little compelling me to use KDE).....would I be able to have the usual launcher on the left side of the main screen, AND an auxiliary identical launcher on the left hand side of the smaller screen.....which would show launched apps from either part of the screen (ie, no matter which monitor an app was on, both launcher panels would enable me to select their window).

I THINK it's just a matter of being able to run and correctly position a 2nd Unity panel, I would imagine everything else would "just work" in that linux-y kinda way :D

I'm asking before I start messing about with my desktop....if I didn't have GDM running, I could start a second X on a guest login, to test with, but I do have GDM and it doesn't approve of two simultaneous X (well maybe it does if I do something other than startx -- :1 If anyone can help with that, I may be able to mess with it on my own if nobody has a suggestion for my main query)

Thank you for reading this, I know it's a bit long winded, but I felt it important to be sure you understood the functionality I have and would like to keep.