PDA

View Full Version : Gnome-shell Extension/Unity Lenses Centre

akand074
August 9th, 2011, 01:00 AM
I think they should really have a spot in the software centre/it's own software centre for extensions and lenses. Or at least have a nicely designed web page like firefox addons/chrome extensions for them. Currently I find it very difficult to find out what lenses/extensions (even indicator applets) even exist and then I'd have to add a new ppa for each one I want to try. They should really organize it and make it easy to access. That would even give people more incentive to make them, especially if they provide decent developer tools. Those things, especially gnome-shell extensions have huge potential. I think Ubuntu should set one up themselves (into their repositories perhaps) that store Unity lenses, gnome shell extensions, even KDE activities and such all in one place. I'd be okay if gnome/ubuntu/kde made their own just for theirs, point is we need good extensions and an easy way to find them and install them.

Has anyone heard of anything in regards to this topic? I've seen the gnome's extension page but that hardly counts.

cbowman57
August 9th, 2011, 02:30 AM
GNOME Shell Extensions To Get A Website With One-Click Install Support (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/06/gnome-shell-extensions-to-get-website.html)

Still pretty much beta right now, or they might be waiting for 3.2. It's called "SweetTooth"

3rdalbum
August 9th, 2011, 12:02 PM
I don't even know if there are many lenses. Aren't most of them still unstable and heavy in development? When they mature a bit they'll probably go into the Themes And Tweaks section of Software Center.

akand074
August 9th, 2011, 07:30 PM
GNOME Shell Extensions To Get A Website With One-Click Install Support (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/06/gnome-shell-extensions-to-get-website.html)

Still pretty much beta right now, or they might be waiting for 3.2. It's called "SweetTooth"

Awesome, I hope it turns out well. I haven't heard of that before.

I don't even know if there are many lenses. Aren't most of them still unstable and heavy in development? When they mature a bit they'll probably go into the Themes And Tweaks section of Software Center.

That's the thing though. I think there isn't very many lenses because it's not obvious how to make them, where to put them, where to get the necessarily development tools. There's really no incentive. Hopefully they do get added to the software centre though!