PDA

View Full Version : OpenOffice - is it still being supported?

Linux_junkie
August 8th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Hello everyone,

I currently have 10.04 with OpenOffice 3.2. Not received any updates for OpenOffice for sometime and having searched these forums and OMG! Ubuntu and ubuntu.com including Ubuntu Wiki cannot find any information on whether OpenOffice is still being supported by Canonical. Repos state that OpenOffice is supported until April 2013 but with Oracle abandon it I wonder if Canonical are still supporting their version of it?

Hang on! i'll search Google first.

sffvba[e0rt
August 8th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I am sure that as long as OpenOffice is in a version of Ubuntu that is still being maintained any security fixes will be available...

Linux_junkie
August 8th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks for your reply, the reason why I'm interested is because if Canonical have abandoned OpenOffice then I'll change to another office package not necessarily LibreOffice.

AlexDudko
August 8th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Yes, it is, as OpenOffice is maintained by its developers itself and new versions of the product still appear.

coffeecat
August 8th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Thanks for your reply, the reason why I'm interested is because if Canonical have abandoned OpenOffice then I'll change to another office package not necessarily LibreOffice.

As I understand it, the version of Open Office in pre-Natty Ubuntu releases was the Go-OO build, not the "official" build of Open Office. Since the Libre Office people used the Go-OO build to develop Libre Office, the transition from the Go-OO version of Open Office in Lucid/Maverick to Libre Office in Natty (and in the forthcoming Oneiric) would be quite logical.

What problem do you have with Libre Office? It seems to me to be a sensible thing for Canonical/Ubuntu to adopt Libre Office considering the uncertain future of Open office in Oracle's stewardship.

NightwishFan
August 8th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I am so very hard pressed to find the differences between the OpenOffice.org Debian 6 packages and the Libreoffice ones. That is because it is very nearly the same software...

I think LibreOffice having support from Canonical, SUSE, Red Hat is good enough. :/
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/LibreOffice
http://www.novell.com/products/libreoffice/

forrestcupp
August 9th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Yes, it is, as OpenOffice is maintained by its developers itself and new versions of the product still appear.

The thing is, like coffeecat said, the Ubuntu packages were Go-OO, and not the official OpenOffice.org. So since Go-OO was abandoned and rolled into LibreOffice, it's kind of a good question whether the old Go-OO is still getting updates. I wouldn't be surprised if it's not.

el_koraco
August 9th, 2011, 01:17 AM
I am so very hard pressed to find the differences between the OpenOffice.org Debian 6 packages and the Libreoffice ones.

I get garbled up Powerpoint presentations with Openoffice, Libre works like a charm.

forrestcupp
August 9th, 2011, 01:49 AM
I get garbled up Powerpoint presentations with Openoffice, Libre works like a charm.

That's interesting. That was one of my main complaints about OOo.

Linux_junkie
August 9th, 2011, 06:52 AM
What problem do you have with Libre Office? It seems to me to be a sensible thing for Canonical/Ubuntu to adopt Libre Office considering the uncertain future of Open office in Oracle's stewardship.

I don't have a problem with LibreOffice its just that I'm thinking of using an office package thats light (lite).

NightwishFan
August 9th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Try Abiword. :)

el_koraco
August 9th, 2011, 09:01 AM
That's interesting. That was one of my main complaints about OOo.

Yup, I installed Libre like five days ago. So I get a ppt for work, hit F5 and am expecting strutter, but the presentation is smooth as silk. They're obviously doing something right.

forrestcupp
August 9th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Yup, I installed Libre like five days ago. So I get a ppt for work, hit F5 and am expecting strutter, but the presentation is smooth as silk. They're obviously doing something right.

Nice. I bought MS Office, partly because of that. I'll have to check it out.

wolfgar
August 11th, 2011, 02:13 AM
Hello everyone,

I currently have 10.04 with OpenOffice 3.2. Not received any updates for OpenOffice for sometime and having searched these forums and OMG! Ubuntu and ubuntu.com including Ubuntu Wiki cannot find any information on whether OpenOffice is still being supported by Canonical. Repos state that OpenOffice is supported until April 2013 but with Oracle abandon it I wonder if Canonical are still supporting their version of it?
Hang on! i'll search Google first.

Download LibreOffice 3.4.2 Final, it works great with 10.04!

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/

Install instructions here: http://www.libre-software.net/how-to-install-libreoffice-on-ubuntu-linux-mint

I hope this helps...