PDA

View Full Version : Etymology, and other such pains...

MG&TL
August 8th, 2011, 10:58 AM
I expect this has been posted before, but I couldn't find it.

Does anybody know the origin of an unusual word or an expansion of the acronyms that are so common in Linux?

For instance, KDE is apparently the K (or 'Kool'??) Desktop Environment, but wth does GNOME stand for? And why 'Unity'?

BASH is 'Bourne Again Shell Script'-but why is it a 'terminal' in the first place? It seems a bit odd, considering I START from the terminal...

Examples abound...if you have any unusual ones, please post. It's enetertaining, I think.

Paqman
August 8th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I expect this has been posted before, but I couldn't find it.

Does anybody know the origin of an unusual word or an expansion of the acronyms that are so common in Linux?

For instance, KDE is apparently the K (or 'Kool'??) Desktop Environment, but wth does GNOME stand for? And why 'Unity'?

From wikipedia:

The name “GNOME” is an acronym of GNU Network Object Model Environment. It refers to GNOME’s original intention of creating a distributed object framework similar to Microsoft’s OLE.[6] This no longer reflects the core vision of the GNOME project, and the full expansion of the name is now considered obsolete

As for Unity, why not? Someone at Canonical decided to call it that I guess.

BASH is 'Bourne Again Shell Script'-but why is it a 'terminal' in the first place? It seems a bit odd, considering I START from the terminal...

The name terminal is a legacy from the old mainframe days. A terminal was a fairly dumb keyboard and display that you'd use to talk to the mainframe. I guess they were called terminals because they were at the boundary of the system. We no longer have the hardware, but the software they displayed has carried on the name.

MG&TL
August 8th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Thanks paqman-sort of thing I was aiming for...

Fedora?
Red Hat?
mint?? (mmm...tasty?)

I don't know-maybe it's just me that gets curious.

Spice Weasel
August 8th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Fedora:

A kind of hat. Fedora is developed by Red Hat, their logo is a fedora:

http://i.imgur.com/ghu1r.gif

Red Hat:

There's a story behind that name:

In March 1994 Ewing created his own Linux distribution, which he named Red Hat Linux (Ewing had worn his grandfather's red lacrosse hat while attending Carnegie Mellon University)

Mint:

I think the general idea behind the theme and branding of that distribution is a fresh and clean style, which is why they chose the name Mint.

Unity:

No idea here. Were Canonical being ironic? :P

Copper Bezel
August 8th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I don't know-maybe it's just me that gets curious.

It's really not, but these are also not that hard to find. They're all in the respective distros' Wikipedia pages. = )

Edit: Except for Unity, but that's easy: it sounds marketable. = )

3Miro
August 8th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Unity is not an acronym, it is reference to something being United, basically it is marketing.

Red Hat may be a reference to someone's hat, but I think it is also a reference to "black hat" vs "red hat" bad vs good hackers.

KDE, GNOME and XFCE started as acronyms, both they have all lost their meaning. Gnome is much more than "Network Object Model Environment". XFCE is a reference to the forum where the devs first meet and the forum no longer exists. I think KDE is now K Desktop Environment (i.e. without the Kool) although they do use the K all over the place (Konquerer, Kaffeine ...)

JASONFUSARO
August 8th, 2011, 04:46 PM
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/what-does-kde-really-stands-for-55255/

K is L in latin from what I found in this post.

L ie. for Linux

DE

is desktop environment

haqking
August 8th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Unity is not an acronym, it is reference to something being United, basically it is marketing.

Red Hat may be a reference to someone's hat, but I think it is also a reference to "black hat" vs "red hat" bad vs good hackers.

KDE, GNOME and XFCE started as acronyms, both they have all lost their meaning. Gnome is much more than "Network Object Model Environment". XFCE is a reference to the forum where the devs first meet and the forum no longer exists. I think KDE is now K Desktop Environment (i.e. without the Kool) although they do use the K all over the place (Konquerer, Kaffeine ...)

the black hat and redhat thing to which you refer should be black hat vs white hat (also grey hat inbetween)

The red hat refers to the shadowman logo of a fedora and it is red, hence the fedora spin off from red hat also. It comes from Marc Ewing (the founder of red hat) who when at College would wear a red hat and was known as the man in the red hat.

haqking
August 8th, 2011, 05:20 PM
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/what-does-kde-really-stands-for-55255/

K is L in latin from what I found in this post.

L ie. for Linux

DE

is desktop environment

The K though originally thought to mean Kool was a play on words from the Unix CDE or common desktop environment. The K does not officially mean anything, it is just the K desktop envronment.

MG&TL
August 8th, 2011, 07:45 PM
'Leaf'pad, 'tomboy' notes, Pidgin?

Tell me to shut up when you get fed up. :D

forrestcupp
August 8th, 2011, 08:54 PM
The name terminal is a legacy from the old mainframe days. A terminal was a fairly dumb keyboard and display that you'd use to talk to the mainframe. I guess they were called terminals because they were at the boundary of the system. We no longer have the hardware, but the software they displayed has carried on the name.

That's right. They were called terminals because they were the outer ends of the mainframe where users could interface with the inner system. Kind of the same idea as why we call concourses airport terminals.

hhh
August 8th, 2011, 09:04 PM
XFCE is a reference to the forum where the devs first meet and the forum no longer exists.

Lol, what? XForms, not Xforums...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XForms_%28toolkit%29
http://linuxgazette.net/issue43/jacobowitz.xfce.html

grahammechanical
August 9th, 2011, 01:49 AM
Source wikipedia

The name "S.u.S.E" was originally a German acronym for "Software und System-Entwicklung", meaning "Software and systems development". However, the full name has never been used and the company has always been known as "S.u.S.E", shortened to "SuSE" in October 1998 and more recently "SUSE".

Thewhistlingwind
August 9th, 2011, 01:54 AM
Ratpoison is named from the most awesome usenet post (http://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/inspiration.html) ever.

The irony is that the last paragraph is the most trollish part.