PDA

View Full Version : basic Joli OS / Cloud OS question

fertileneutrino
August 8th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I have Joli OS running on my netbook. I really started thinking about it and now I'm just confused.

the applications are internet-based, unless you run installed applications from terminal. how is this any different than another linux distro where the user just uses web-based applications most of the time, and native applications when needed? i don't understand how it's any different.

any help would be appreciated!

thanks,

fertileneutrino

koleoptero
August 8th, 2011, 11:26 AM
It isn't any different if you know how to do these things. Jolicloud tries to simplify the installation and use of web-based apps for non-technical users. If you know how to make web-app shortcuts with chrome/chromium or prism then it's redundant. The interface is somewhat designed for that purpose too but that can be replicated with other things.

fertileneutrino
August 8th, 2011, 11:37 AM
It isn't any different if you know how to do these things. Jolicloud tries to simplify the installation and use of web-based apps for non-technical users. If you know how to make web-app shortcuts with chrome/chromium or prism then it's redundant. The interface is somewhat designed for that purpose too but that can be replicated with other things.

thanks for the response. so the OS itself does not intrinsically reduce its impact on the computer? for example, it does not run fewer native processes than other linux distro's?

koleoptero
August 8th, 2011, 11:39 AM
thanks for the response. so the OS itself does not intrinsically reduce its impact on the computer? for example, it does not run fewer native processes than other linux distro's?

It might, but if it's performance you want you can just do a lighweight installation yourself. It really doesn't revolutionize anything.

Kingcapone
August 8th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I have Joli OS running on my netbook. I really started thinking about it and now I'm just confused.

the applications are internet-based, unless you run installed applications from terminal. how is this any different than another linux distro where the user just uses web-based applications most of the time, and native applications when needed? i don't understand how it's any different.

any help would be appreciated!

thanks,

fertileneutrino

Jolicloud is basically ubuntu with your bookmarks on your desktop IMO.

ufugu
August 8th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Hmm, my old eee 700 running the current Jolicloud has local and web apps mingled together in the launcher screens (I don't understand why you have to run them from a terminal?).

I think the whole Joli concept is that it obscures the difference between the two. It's a lot like a smartphone where some things are local applications and some are just web interfaces and you don't need to know which is which, you just push a button.

Jolicloud does this nicely, and it's really attractive from start to finish--I wish Unity had taken some pointers from the Jolicloud design team.