PDA

View Full Version : When i told a naval officer i work on "ubuntu"

Praveen30
August 8th, 2011, 08:49 AM
this is my short story that i want to share with you...
http://www.tricksfind.in/2011/08/when-i-told-naval-officer-i-work-on.html

szymon_g
August 8th, 2011, 10:01 AM
cool story, bro

"(..) I was surprisingly selected for the Next Round, only 2 were selected..but i never wanted to be a naval officer so i didn't go for the next round!!!(..)"

so why did you waste his and yours time than?

mips
August 8th, 2011, 10:21 AM

Good question and in the process deny someone else the opportunity that would have loved to go.

Noz3001
August 8th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Well, he did think it was unix which isn't free ;D

haqking
August 8th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Well, he did think it was unix which isn't free ;D

do you mean free as in price or free as in freedom ;-)

FreeBSD
OpenSolaris
OpenBSD
SCO Openserver

Noz3001
August 8th, 2011, 10:47 AM
do you mean free as in price or free as in freedom ;-)

FreeBSD
OpenSolaris
OpenBSD
SCO Openserver

I meant Unix the OS, not its derivatives.

mips
August 8th, 2011, 12:17 PM

There is no such thing. Solaris, Irix, HP-UX, AIX, OS X etc are all Unix but they don't really differ much from their free counterparts except that they paid $$$ to have them certified as unix.

haqking
August 8th, 2011, 12:20 PM

which UNIX would that be then ? ;-)

Praveen30
August 8th, 2011, 12:23 PM
cool story, bro

"(..) I was surprisingly selected for the Next Round, only 2 were selected..but i never wanted to be a naval officer so i didn't go for the next round!!!(..)"

Good question, well ! because i wanted to build some confidence inside myself. i was in 7th semester and companies were going to come in 8th sem starting.So, i thought it would be great for me to test myself..and in 8th sem when i faced my real interview then i was very confident on my words...this also revolve around LINUX..i will share it later...

Praveen30
August 8th, 2011, 12:27 PM

Yes, he meant UNIX as in general...

XubuRoxMySox
August 8th, 2011, 12:30 PM
C'mon, don't give anyone a hard time for interviewing for a job (or a school) they don't necessarily want. Maybe they qualify for that job and have to take whatever they can get.

Naval officer sounds like it would be an awesome career though! I can't imagine not wanting to be one, lol. As long as I could still dance (and teach dance), play with Linux, and blog about it. I guess there'd be plenty of time for my other favorite pastime, swimming!

-Robin

Bandit
August 8th, 2011, 12:32 PM
http://www.tricksfind.in/2011/08/when-i-told-naval-officer-i-work-on.html

Many of our important systems use UNIX on board the ships. Most the desktops and user interfacing is done through old-old-old versions of windows, but the real work is done on UNIX servers.

You should have went for the Naval Officer position. Good pay, dont work (really you just BS all day, true story.. Your not allowed to get your hands dirty..) and huge amount of benefits.

Paqman
August 8th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Naval officer sounds like it would be an awesome career though! I can't imagine not wanting to be one, lol.

No thanks. The navy are weirdos.

Praveen30
August 8th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Many of our important systems use UNIX on board the ships. Most the desktops and user interfacing is done through old-old-old versions of windows, but the real work is done on UNIX servers.

You should have went for the Naval Officer position. Good pay, dont work (really you just BS all day, true story.. Your not allowed to get your hands dirty..) and huge amount of benefits.

ya, there are huge amount of benefits..they had given a presentation before all these process..it was quite astonishing!!! it is an exciting career, very exciting but it is not for me...one of my friend got selected and he is getting training in the most beautiful part of india...

Zlatan
August 8th, 2011, 01:49 PM
ya, there are huge amount of benefits..they had given a presentation before all these process..it was quite astonishing!!! it is an exciting career, very exciting but it is not for me...one of my friend got selected and he is getting training in the most beautiful part of india...

So why da heck did you go to that interview and took away someone's chance to get there?

Praveen30
August 8th, 2011, 02:22 PM
So why da heck did you go to that interview and took away someone's chance to get there?

i had already explained why i went there...and they published 2 extended lists also after 30 days because of their requirements. So,everybody had fair chance..

walt.smith1960
August 8th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I think you'll see governments move away from Microsoft and Windows. The Stuxnet episode might accelerate that process, at least for non-desktop applications.

Paqman
August 8th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I think you'll see governments move away from Microsoft and Windows. The Stuxnet episode might accelerate that process, at least for non-desktop applications.

Unlikely. SCADA systems generally can't be replaced independently of the hardware they control.

haqking
August 8th, 2011, 02:55 PM

govts and military use systems that meet certain criteria through certification such as in the US the orange book or now common criteria, in UK then ITSEC or common criteria.

Linux or Windows or whatever if certified to a given level cna be used, depends if they want MAC or DAC, SELinux for example providing MAC and Windows providing DAC.

Windows is not insecure, it is the administrator or the security policy or design which makes it so within the environment where it is.

yes Linux is more secure out of the box, as said before can easily end up insecure though.

Windows has flaws yes, which can be hardened or made worse.

As for which one is harder to crack, again all comes down to version if in vanilla state etc and often entry is through a given service and its vulnerabilites and not the OS itself.

The military and govts use Windows alot, do you think they would if it was so insecure ? i mean its not a cost issue is it ;-)

it is all academic, it comes down to who is running/administering the system, sec policy, asset value etc

PhillyPhil
August 8th, 2011, 03:28 PM

Someone got the job anyway.
Even if the person who replaced the OP had been successful you'd still have the same number of disappointed people, and only one successful applicant.

el_koraco
August 8th, 2011, 03:35 PM
which UNIX would that be then ? ;-)

the mythical OS everything should strive for. You know, from the golden ages, when petty stuff such as monitors didn't exist and everything was VANILLA.

uRock
August 9th, 2011, 11:55 PM
http://www.tricksfind.in/2011/08/when-i-told-naval-officer-i-work-on.htmlAlmost every tactical system I came in contact with was run on *nix systems.

I think you'll see governments move away from Microsoft and Windows. The Stuxnet episode might accelerate that process, at least for non-desktop applications.Microsoft has a great EAL rating, which is required for Government systems. If security policies are properly implemented and enforced, then Stuxnet style attacks would never get a chance. Layer 8 failures are the problem, not the OS.