PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu-netbook installed but not on the list of log in options

jonnyboysmithy
August 7th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Hi, I have installed the package ubuntu-netbook and have followed the instructions on http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1569926
The trouble is when Im at the logging screen I cannot choose the option to log in as ubuntu netbook, its just not on the list.

This is what I have in terminal:

jotham@jotham-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-netbook
[sudo] password for jotham:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
ubuntu-netbook is already the newest version.
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
wine1.3-gecko galculator linux-headers-2.6.38-8 xscreensaver libgarcon-1-0
pcmanfm xfce-keyboard-shortcuts tango-icon-theme libgarcon-common libfm-gtk0
giblib1 libtumbler-1-0 linux-headers-2.6.38-8-generic libfm0 thunar-data
gtk2-engines-xfce scrot libimlib2 xfdesktop4-data libexo-common
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
jotham@jotham-desktop:~$

I have reinstalled the package but it didnt make a difference.

jonnyboysmithy
August 7th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Anyone??

SalHelder
August 7th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I don't think you can use ubuntu-netbook anymore, it has be deprecated. If you want the new "netbook" interface you'll need Unity, or KDE's plasma netbook.

jonnyboysmithy
August 7th, 2011, 10:52 PM
I'm currently using 11.04, does that mean I need to install a different package?

ah of course it does but what package....

SalHelder
August 7th, 2011, 10:56 PM
I guess you are already using Unity then. Just to be sure, you tried to look at the list of window managers after selecting the username (and before entering the password), right?

jonnyboysmithy
August 7th, 2011, 10:59 PM
I guess you are already using Unity then. Just to be sure, you tried to look at the list of window managers after selecting the username (and before entering the password), right?
Yup already tried that, its not on the list.

SalHelder
August 7th, 2011, 11:03 PM
If you still want an netbook interface you can try KDE's, but it's likely to be quite heavy if you are using an actual netbook, anyway:

sudo apt-get install kde-plasma-netbook

And if you are just looking for something more simple (and a bit uglier) try Lxlauncher, you'll just need to run it under Unity:

1. sudo apt-get install lxlauncher
2. Alt + F2 and type: lxlauncher

jonnyboysmithy
August 7th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks for that.
I'll try the lxlauncher..

I saw the ubuntu netbook on a friends pc and decided i wanted to try that looks really nice..

Is there any other way I can try the ubuntu netbook edition other than having to do a reinstall?

jonnyboysmithy
August 7th, 2011, 11:19 PM
I still much prefer netbook i think than lxlauncher to be honest

SalHelder
August 7th, 2011, 11:20 PM
You can still use it but you'll need to revert the system back to 10.04, because since 10.10 it started to use Unity instead of the netbook interface.

XubuRoxMySox
August 7th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Unity is the new version of the old netbook-remix desktop. The netbook-remix desktop is obselete in Natty.

But if you use the LTS version (10.04), it is downloadable from the repos and selectable as a session.

-Robin

jonnyboysmithy
August 7th, 2011, 11:23 PM
You can still use it but you'll need to revert the system back to 10.04, because since 10.10 it started to use Unity instead of the netbook interface.
I'm confused. so your saying that you can't install netbook since they switched to unity?

SalHelder
August 7th, 2011, 11:26 PM
It's more like it was upgraded, from now on there's Unity which is the replacement (upgrade), as we said you can try the 10.04 and use the old netbook interface.

jonnyboysmithy
August 7th, 2011, 11:33 PM
sorry but I think I'm missing something, so whats the difference between ubuntu netbook and netbook-remix

SalHelder
August 7th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Here are the answers you need: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Netbook_Edition

Anyway, answering your question ubuntu netbook remix and netbook edition are the same thing.

jonnyboysmithy
August 7th, 2011, 11:49 PM
That answers my questions thanks!
@robin love your How I Discovered Linux (http://robinsrantsandraves.wordpress.com/2011/07/14/how-i-discovered-linux/)

XubuRoxMySox
August 8th, 2011, 12:56 AM
That answers my questions thanks!

Yay! Be sure to mark this thread as SOLVED so others with the same question can quickly follow it to the answer.

Find your first post and choose Edit, then Go Advanced, and change the Subject line, adding [SOLVED] to the front.

Thanks!

-Robin