PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with Linux installations on PCs

linuxjane
August 7th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Hi all,

I've now installed several different Linux/Unix distros (dual boot) on assorted PC laptops (all Toshiba), and although compatibility issues (some minor, some major) varied, in general I find the keyboard to be so touchy that keys are misinterpreted on a minute-to-minute basis. For example, typing the letter 'F' will often open the "find" bar, even though I am nowhere near the control key.

Does anyone share this experience? Is it exclusive to Toshiba, or exclusive to PCs in general? Or is it a Linux thing? These mistypes do not occur when I am booted into Windows.

I'm in the market for a new laptop, and I'd like it to be a big fancy PC (sorry folks), but I also need it to behave itself in Linux! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

hakermania
August 7th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Well, i don't experience these issues at all, if this can be helpful :/

FlameReaper
August 8th, 2011, 12:09 AM
I suggest you do a thorough testing to see what works and what not. Your problem seems to be exclusive to those Toshiba laptops.

I'd like to know what behavior the keystroke you mentioned do in Windows. If it behaves normally then there might be something bugging the button in the distributions you use.

I believe Ubuntu would be one of the distributions you use, what else have you used?

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 8th, 2011, 12:15 AM

I have not experienced the problems you describe. I do have a Toshiba notebook that is working without any problems with Linux distros.

Could you please post more information regarding the computer you are having problems with.

What is the CPU, GPU, NIC, graphics card, wireless keyboard, etc.

sffvba[e0rt
August 8th, 2011, 12:39 AM
I have also ran Ubuntu on a Toshiba without any issues...

linuxjane
August 8th, 2011, 03:26 AM
Well, i don't experience these issues at all, if this can be helpful :/

Well, it tells me this isn't a linux-wide problem. ;)

linuxjane
August 8th, 2011, 03:27 AM
I believe Ubuntu would be one of the distributions you use, what else have you used?

3 versions of Ubuntu, KDE, and Scientific Linux.

linuxjane
August 8th, 2011, 04:13 AM
What is the CPU, GPU, NIC, graphics card, wireless keyboard, etc.

I'm not used to digging up this information, so let me know if I'm missing anything relevant...
CPU: Intel Core i5
GPU: Radeon HD 5000 series
NIC: Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E

This is frustrating - I would not call myself a clumsy typist, nor do I have these problems on the same laptop in Windows. I've been assuming that Linux is just much touchier for some reason, but that doesn't seem to be confirmed here.