PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help!!!

caltrotter
August 7th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I have just put ubuntu on my computer, I want to know how to put applications like firefox from the launcher bar to an icon on the desktop. Also I would like to know how I can edit my top bar and put the applications folder on the bar. Please Help!

Savio2010
August 7th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Right click the desktop
Select 'Create Launcher'
Type 'Application'
Name 'Firefox'
Browse '/usr/bin/' Select 'firefox'
Click OK.

About adding Folders to the bar.... I don't know if it is possible. Ubuntu is not Windows.

Seaching applicatins

Click the Ubuntu Icon on the top left conner and type.... example if you want to open Tomboy Notes just type 'tom' and click on Tomboy Notes to open it.

caltrotter
August 7th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Didn't work, can i browse to 'usr' is it hidden. And I want to have the application folder on the task bar?

JRV
August 7th, 2011, 12:58 PM
You don't need to browse to /usr/bin to select firefox.

Just enter "firefox" into the Command field. (No quotes)

caltrotter
August 7th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Thankyou that worked, I tried doing that the first time but didn't then I did it in lower case letters and worked. Can you help me with my second problem?

JRV
August 7th, 2011, 01:09 PM
You can not put the applications folder on the top panel, but you can put it on the launcher bar.

Right click on the desktop.
Select "Create Launcher"
Type: Location
Name: Applications
Command: /usr/share/applications

Move it to your home directory, then drag it to the launcher bar.

caltrotter
August 7th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Ok, no worrys then. Another question can I put the launch bar at the bottom of my screen, or can I get rid off the launch bar?

Kexolino
August 7th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Ok, no worrys then. Another question can I put the launch bar at the bottom of my screen, or can I get rid off the launch bar?

No. You can't move it, and you can't get rid of it (in case you are using Natty Narwhal, which I think you are). You can set it to automatically hide though...

caltrotter
August 7th, 2011, 02:48 PM
No. You can't move it, and you can't get rid of it (in case you are using Natty Narwhal, which I think you are). You can set it to automatically hide though...

How do I hide it then?

Kexolino
August 7th, 2011, 05:47 PM
How do I hide it then?

Here's a good writing on how to do it: http://ubuntu-install.blogspot.com/2011/04/make-unity-bar-autohide-itself.html