PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Re installing Windows

maxwjackson
August 7th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I have a 64 bit laptop running 11.04 and I want to install windows back to the computer that way I can run photoshop and itunes easily because the mirrors arent the easiest or best ways to do it.

My problem is that when I try to install windows (xp cd) it goes through the startup process of installing but gives me no options of how it wants to be installed or what to do with it, just runs a little bit with a blue screen and tasks at the bottom, and then it says starting windows (after about 5 mins) and then gives me an error about windows not being able to run. I tried to format the drive and just make it a complete fresh install but I also cant format the drive that I am working on, or at least I cant figure out how to.

My goal is to wipe everything, install xp, and then partion a little bit for xp and reinstall ubuntu, but the major issue seems to be the installing xp...

hopefully someone has some idea why this is happening.

~!geek!~
August 7th, 2011, 11:03 AM
If you already tried booting from the media (cd or usbdrive) containing windows xp, There appears to be a problem with this media itself.
If you are sure that it was not the case, you may try formatting the harddisk using gparted using a live cd or live usb containing ubuntu.
Now try again installing windows xp.
If you are able to install the windose, you may go for ubuntu and install it alongside to get dual boot system.

allwimb
August 7th, 2011, 11:16 AM
It seems that your install support is damaged try getting a new Windows CD. After booting it should ask you where you want to install Windows.

spring login (http://www.java-forums.org/blogs/spring-framework/531-login-forms-spring-security.html)

haqking
August 7th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I have a 64 bit laptop running 11.04 and I want to install windows back to the computer that way I can run photoshop and itunes easily because the mirrors arent the easiest or best ways to do it.

My problem is that when I try to install windows (xp cd) it goes through the startup process of installing but gives me no options of how it wants to be installed or what to do with it, just runs a little bit with a blue screen and tasks at the bottom, and then it says starting windows (after about 5 mins) and then gives me an error about windows not being able to run. I tried to format the drive and just make it a complete fresh install but I also cant format the drive that I am working on, or at least I cant figure out how to.

My goal is to wipe everything, install xp, and then partion a little bit for xp and reinstall ubuntu, but the major issue seems to be the installing xp...

hopefully someone has some idea why this is happening.

there are alternatives to itunes see here:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/itunes

however if you really want to use Adobe and Itunes have you thought about virtualistion using vmware or what i prefer is Virtualbox ?

This doesnt solve your OP problem but a suggestion for you if useful ?

If your goal is to wipe everything then try using a Gparted Live CD first if you are having issues.

oh and i take it your XP version is 64 bit also ?