PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox 5 won't boot after 10.10 partial upgrade

whistlerspa
August 7th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Nothing happens at all and I can't locate the executable file

I use the 64bit edition of 10.10. Tried total removal and re-installation from Ubuntu Software center but no joy.

dino99
August 7th, 2011, 10:30 AM
http://blog.pault.ag/post/3107062816/why-64-bit-computing-is-really-dumb-right-now

whistlerspa
August 7th, 2011, 10:37 AM
http://blog.pault.ag/post/3107062816/why-64-bit-computing-is-really-dumb-right-now

Sorry but how are any of these links supposed to help as I can't see a reference to Firefox in any of them?

~!geek!~
August 7th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Nothing happens at all and I can't locate the executable file

I use the 64bit edition of 10.10. Tried total removal and re-installation from Ubuntu Software center but no joy.

You have already reinstalled firefox 5 so, now as a final check, you may try removing all the settings of firefox using (firefox should not be running at all, you may crosscheck by killing firefox using system monitor, if its found running there):

mv ~/.mozilla ~/mozillabackup
mozillabackup will be containing all the settings you had previously. You may restore it later.
Now try running firefox again. If you are successful, all you have to do is remove the last profile you were using in mozillabackup directory and restore the mozillabackup to .mozilla directory (Before this, remove the newly created .mozilla directory)

If you are not able to run firefox,
try purgin everything associated with firefox using command
sudo apt-get purge firefox and you may remove .mozilla directory in home directory and rename mozillabackup directory as .mozilla (see a dot is there).

lovinglinux
August 8th, 2011, 02:59 PM
You have already reinstalled firefox 5 so, now as a final check, you may try removing all the settings of firefox using (firefox should not be running at all, you may crosscheck by killing firefox using system monitor, if its found running there):

mozillabackup will be containing all the settings you had previously. You may restore it later.
Now try running firefox again. If you are successful, all you have to do is remove the last profile you were using in mozillabackup directory and restore the mozillabackup to .mozilla directory (Before this, remove the newly created .mozilla directory)

If you are not able to run firefox,
try purgin everything associated with firefox using command and you may remove .mozilla directory in home directory and rename mozillabackup directory as .mozilla (see a dot is there).

Before the removal of the ~/.mozilla folder, I would try starting Firefox in safe mode.

firefox -safe-mode

If safe mode works, then is probably an extension causing the problem. You can enable them one by one to check which one is causing the problem. I would particularly look at the Global Menu Bar Integration extension, that can prevent Firefox from starting.

If it doesn't work in safe mode, then try a clean profile. Instead of renaming the ~/.mozilla folder, which might have configuration files for other Mozilla applications, I would create a clean profile using the profile manager.

firefox -P

See these articles:

http://www.webgapps.org/tutorials/firefox/troubleshooting/general-troubleshooting
http://www.webgapps.org/tutorials/firefox/troubleshooting/fixing-corrupted-profiles

whistlerspa
August 10th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Thanks - I tried the purge option first and this worked but I did lose all my bookmarks - is there an import bookmarks option that works?

The 'Import' option locates nothing even though I also have Chrome installed.

lovinglinux
August 12th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks - I tried the purge option first and this worked but I did lose all my bookmarks - is there an import bookmarks option that works?

The 'Import' option locates nothing even though I also have Chrome installed.

Close Firefox, browse the old profile folder, find the file places.sqlite in the profile folder, then copy to the new profile.