PDA

View Full Version : FAQ: Can I use instant messaging in Ubuntu?

ubuntu-geek
October 11th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Yes, Ubuntu comes with Gaim 1.0 it supports AOL, ICQ, Yahoo, MSN and a few other chat clients.

nutty
October 12th, 2004, 11:22 PM
I checked Gaim and MSN works on it. But somehow Yahoo messenger does not work. Is there some configuration that I need to do to get yahoo to work?

Best Wishes

AndersAA
October 13th, 2004, 11:50 AM
since gaim does support yahoo I'd look at the gaim mailinglist for answers to that. Could be you need an updated version, as protocols occasionaly change a bit making gaim incompatible.

ubuntu-geek
October 13th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Check out http://gaim.sourceforge.net If I get around to it today I can build a Gaim 1.0.1 package for Ubuntu for the new version if they dont get it in the archives first ;)

Damon
October 16th, 2004, 04:26 AM
Hmm... ./configure couldn't find glib >= 2.0.0

Now, trying to figure out how to tell it where to look. :(

Damon
October 16th, 2004, 04:52 AM
Problems I ran into and their solutions when compiling gaim 1.0.1
<<Keep in mind I have a "vanilla" laptop install. I'm only installing packages as they are needed. :oops: >>

./configure
Two problems. glib 2.0.0 or greater was not recognized, as well as gtk greater than or equal to 2.0.0. I had to install both of these packages via Synaptic.

make
Since I so wisely ignored unix naming conventions and had the source in a directory with a space in the name (My Downloads), havoc befell all stages of make. So, as a consequence, I did the following:

cd ../..
mv "My Downloads" downloads
cd downloads/gaim-1.0.1
make clean
./configure
make
make check
sudo make install
Now, I have gaim-1.0.1 compiled on my ubuntu box. W00t :lol: