PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new E-ink reader

anarkhos
August 7th, 2011, 04:29 AM
I have the white Nook ebook reader, but I never use it.

So, I'm looking for a new E-ink reader that has the following criteria. I'm hoping that some kind Ubuntforums member knows of one and wants to point me in the right direction.

-9" diagonal screensize
-E-ink (not LCD, like an iPad)
-built in front-lighting
-can invert colors on the screen, so text becomes white and background becomes black (easier for me to read)

Does anyone know of such a creature?

krapp
August 7th, 2011, 05:03 AM
What's wrong with the Nook?
Just curious, as I've never used one.
Also, E-ink is wonderful.

anarkhos
August 7th, 2011, 05:11 AM
What's wrong with the Nook?
Just curious, as I've never used one.
Also, E-ink is wonderful.

Basically for 3 reasons: screen is too small (6" diagonal is too small, don't bother!), doesn't have built-in lighting (a small clip on LCD light is annoying since its constantly falling off for whatever reason), and the colors cannot be inverted without modifying pdf's to invert the colors.

LowSky
August 7th, 2011, 05:26 AM
I have the white Nook ebook reader, but I never use it.

So, I'm looking for a new E-ink reader that has the following criteria. I'm hoping that some kind Ubuntforums member knows of one and wants to point me in the right direction.

-9" diagonal screensize
-E-ink (not LCD, like an iPad)
-built in front-lighting
-can invert colors on the screen, so text becomes white and background becomes black (easier for me to read)

Does anyone know of such a creature?

Doesn't exist. As far as I know only Amazon makes an e-reader e-ink screen over 7". No one makes an e-ink screen with a built in light. If you need night view-ability then the only option is LCD tablet. May I suggest the Notion Ink Adam. 10" screen and E-ink+LCD screen, best of both screens. Or a very cheap tablet like the Viesonic G-tablet, which can be found under $300.

krapp
August 7th, 2011, 05:38 AM
If you need night view-ability then the only option is LCD tablet.

And burn your eyes out.

Get an LED flexible light that clips onto books and stick it on your E-reader.

anarkhos
August 7th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Doesn't exist. As far as I know only Amazon makes an e-reader e-ink screen over 7". No one makes an e-ink screen with a built in light. If you need night view-ability then the only option is LCD tablet. May I suggest the Notion Ink Adam. 10" screen and E-ink+LCD screen, best of both screens. Or a very cheap tablet like the Viesonic G-tablet, which can be found under $300.

That Notion Ink Adam looks really impressive. If I was looking for an LCD display, that would be near the top of my list. Thanks

By the by, I was doing a bit of research just now, and I see this Wikipedia page comparing Ebooks readers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_readers

There seem to be a few larger than 6" displays, which is great. Its difficult to describe why, but a 6" diagonal display really feels stifling when reading.

I think you're correct about the front-lighting, which is a bummer.

sanderella
August 7th, 2011, 01:44 PM
If you have difficulty reading black text on a white background have you tried coloured filters? My daughter has Irlen Syndrome, and has it all sorted out now, and it's a lot cheaper than buying a new e-reader.

Try http://irlen.com/ for more information, and google Scotopic sensitivity syndrome.

Hope this helps.

anarkhos
August 7th, 2011, 08:23 PM
If you have difficulty reading black text on a white background have you tried coloured filters? My daughter has Irlen Syndrome, and has it all sorted out now, and it's a lot cheaper than buying a new e-reader.

Try http://irlen.com/ for more information, and google Scotopic sensitivity syndrome.

Hope this helps.

That is really interesting, I've never heard of that. Although, I am positive that I don't suffer from that. I simply have realized that reading white text on a black background is easier on my eyes (and I suspect everyone's eyes).

You can invert all your Ubuntu colors without Compiz with this:
sudo apt-get install xcalib;
/usr/bin/xcalib -invert -alter;

I strongly feel that our eyes are designed to focus on white light, not black. So, by reading off of a screen that is 90% white, your eyes are constantly being stressed. Overtime this stress causes irritability, especially if you work at your computer as much as I do.

drawkcab
August 8th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Doesn't exist. As far as I know only Amazon makes an e-reader e-ink screen over 7".

Pocketbook makes a couple of nice 9" readers, although I doubt they have some of the features you're looking for.

Head over to mobileread.com's forums and you'll learn a lot.