PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing MySQL server 4.1 on Ubuntu 11.04

drewbocz
August 7th, 2011, 02:38 AM
Hi, how do I need to install mySQL server 4.1 on Ubuntu 11.04 server for a legacy app to run (it breaks on mySQL 5).

sudo apt-get mysql-server-4.1 doesn't work - "package is missing, obsoleted or available from another source".

Thanks.

lmarmisa
August 7th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Hi and welcome to the forums.

Try this command:

sudo apt-get install mysql-server

karlson
August 7th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Hi, how do I need to install mySQL server 4.1 on Ubuntu 11.04 server for a legacy app to run (it breaks on mySQL 5).

sudo apt-get mysql-server-4.1 doesn't work - "package is missing, obsoleted or available from another source".

Thanks.

Does your application have a need for the libmysqld? If not why would you need a server rather then just a client?

karlson
August 7th, 2011, 02:52 AM
Hi and welcome to the forums.

Try this command:

sudo apt-get install mysql-server

I think the issue is the specific version here. "mysql-server" package installs the current version, which 4.1 isn't.

drewbocz
August 7th, 2011, 02:53 AM
@Imarmisa:

Nope, that would just install the latest server version which is 5.1.

Already did that the first time. That's when I found out that my app breaks.

wojox
August 7th, 2011, 02:58 AM
That's when I found out that my app breaks.

Maybe fix your app? MySQL 4.1 will only be supported for so long, so eventually you will need to tinker with the code. :P

drewbocz
August 7th, 2011, 03:01 AM
Does your application have a need for the libmysqld? If not why would you need a server rather then just a client?

Hmm, I have no idea. I'm trying to migrate from a Windows Server to Ubuntu Server. I have a Foxpro app connecting to mySQL server 4.1 on Windows.

Just trying to replicate that on Ubuntu. So far, I've got it to the point where the app is already up and running from a remote machine (on mySQL 5.1). However, I have tested and verified that some functions don't work well and it is because of the difference in mySQL versions.

drewbocz
August 7th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Maybe fix your app? MySQL 4.1 will only be supported for so long, so eventually you will need to tinker with the code. :P

I know, however, it's not my app (yet) as it was developed by someone else long ago and I am still in the process of negotiating for the source code.

In the meantime, I want this thing to run on Ubuntu.